Ships long gone from Manchester you used to love

The very first of course was the Pioneer but when Manchester Liners was established on 3 May 1898 they built the magnificent Manchester City to fit the dimensions of the canal along with other ships that sailed the route to North America.

*The author would like to thank google for it's help in creating this parody thread which hopes to uphold the long tradition of parody threads on bluemoon through the active participation of other formumites with time on their hands. No dolphins were harmed in the making of this post.

I was going to start this same parody thread myself but didn’t know anything about Manchester ships and couldn’t be arsed googling. Do you think I’d get away with a “Shits long gone from Manchester...” thread. I could probably think of a few of those

This one sailed off years ago. They even sang a song about it.

When I was young and foolish
As foolish as can be
I said goodbye to the mother-in-law
And off I went to sea
I sailed with Captain Skipper
Aboard San Ferry Ann
And we all set sail down Collyhurst Road
In a black Maria van.

Westward+Ho.jpg

Somebody told me she was originally named "The Vecta"
North+Westward+Ho+article.jpg

I know it was dark when I went on it but it never looked like that !

Manchester would be much smaller if the canal had not been dug. The mills needed to weave the cotton into cloth galvanised steel mills, and the dye industry expanded to cope with the demand, the heavy industry epitomised by Metro-vicks, could make the very short trip to the docks importing and exporting machinery world-wide that would not be profitable by road. The pipe-line carrying heavy crude from the tidal mersey basin to Carrington Shell's cat-cracker was probably the final nail. Many jobs disappeared for ever with the demise of cotton processing

The very first of course was the Pioneer but when Manchester Liners was established on 3 May 1898 they built the magnificent Manchester City to fit the dimensions of the canal along with other ships that sailed the route to North America.

*The author would like to thank google for it's help in creating this parody thread which hopes to uphold the long tradition of parody threads on bluemoon through the active participation of other formumites with time on their hands. No dolphins were harmed in the making of this post.
I am pretty sure that the ship going through the locks near to Barton Swing Bridge in the 1960s film A Taste Of Honey was The Manchester City.

Manchester liners did have at least one ship called Manchester City,if you google Manchester City ship there is a lot of online stuff about the history of said vessel/s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.