Ships long gone from Manchester you used to love

Can’t remember the name, although I remember seeing a big ship sailing down the alley alley o on the last day of September when I was a kid.

My first job after leaving school in 1969 was with the Manchester Ship Canal Company, happy days

Manchester would be much smaller if the canal had not been dug. The mills needed to weave the cotton into cloth galvanised steel mills, and the dye industry expanded to cope with the demand, the heavy industry epitomised by Metro-vicks, could make the very short trip to the docks importing and exporting machinery world-wide that would not be profitable by road. The pipe-line carrying heavy crude from the tidal mersey basin to Carrington Shell's cat-cracker was probably the final nail. Many jobs disappeared for ever with the demise of cotton processing

The main reason for the canal was built was to avoid Liverpool. It would cost more in taxes,charges and fees to get cargo from Liverpool to Manchester than it would from Canada, India etc etc to Liverpool. The lazy, bone idle robbing bastards saw to that, so Manchesters merchants completely bypassed the twats and ended up with ( I believe) the worlds biggest inland port.

Growing up in the 90s I didn't really take notice of any of this. I have vague memories of there being a couple of ships on the docks, there was a pirate party boat and at some point an old WW2 frigate which was turned in to a museum.

Today, I find it absolutely bonkers but more fascinating that HUGE container ships would sail up the ship canal and dock at the quays, what a sight that would have been. I watched a short youtube documentary on the MSC and as many have rightly said, we were able to cut out huge taxes/customs charges etc through bypassing Liverpool. The ambition and initiative of the merchants was commendable, "ok let's built a long canal from Liverpool to Manchester to get round these charges". If you'd mention something like that today, you'd be laughed out of the office.

The main thing is Manchester docks and the ship canal really pissed the scousers off. Then we did it again with Ringway airport.
Only reason it was built was because they were trying to rip off the cotton traders in Manchester so it was built to bypass Liverpool docks

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.