Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

It was actually a Doctor on one of the radio stations earlier today. Said Prem League getting kits forces prices up in marketplace and essentially outbids the NHS in the first instance.

Shocking.
This is what I've been saying to @Marvin, footballers playing behind closed doors won't affect the transmission rate too much I suspect but it will take medical supplies and personnel away from where they're needed. There's absolutely no need to put everything into restarting football now, get things under control, get the medical supplies where they're actually needed and work towards getting next season up and running for the benefit of every club in the country. I don't know why this is such a controversial option that doesn't seem to be discussed.

This is what I've been saying to @Marvin, footballers playing behind closed doors won't affect the transmission rate too much I suspect but it will take medical supplies and personnel away from where they're needed. There's absolutely no need to put everything into restarting football now, get things under control, get the medical supplies where they're actually needed and work towards getting next season up and running for the benefit of every club in the country. I don't know why this is such a controversial option that doesn't seem to be discussed.

I hadn't factored it myself until an NHS worker on the radio essentially stated the other day said football would be taking testing kits and PPE away from those services that actually needed it and jacking up worldwide prices as a consequence.

over a hundred doctors, nurses , carers etc., have lost their lives doing their job and risking their own lives because there has been a shortage of PPE , and the Premier league are out bidding the NHS for PPE , what other civilsed country would allow this to happen?
Putting football over our health workers , much as i love our club i will not put another bean in the premier league's pocket ,unless the premier league do an about turn and show an ounce of decency , i am done with it ,i will get my football fix watching my grandson captain his under 14 team every Sunday , grass roots football , its the future

I hadn't factored it myself until an NHS worker on the radio essentially stated the other day said football would be taking testing kits and PPE away from those services that actually needed it and jacking up worldwide prices as a consequence.
I hadn't thought about the price factor but I know people who work in the NHS and know how difficult a time they're having. Medical staff are being drafted in from all over the place to care for dying people and routine operations have been put on hold for now (my dad needs a cataract operation and the waiting time was 2 months but now it's at least a year).
In this climate the thought of drafting medical staff and equipment and putting it towards sport and entertainment seems disgusting to me. It also seems really premature, start looking at an August restart when people's lives have started becoming a bit more normal.
There's no need to rush football back right now, if everyone involved came together then the game could resume in a proper way with the majority of the clubs at all levels better looked after.
I'm sure that even if next season was played entirely behind closed doors that would 'raise the nation's morale' much more than a rushed pointless few games shown on TV with nothing at stake for the majority of teams. They will basically be behind closed doors friendlies that have been setup by robbing the NHS and who's interested in that?

Last edited:
over a hundred doctors, nurses , carers etc., have lost their lives doing their job and risking their own lives because there has been a shortage of PPE , and the Premier league are out bidding the NHS for PPE , what other civilsed country would allow this to happen?
Putting football over our health workers , much as i love our club i will not put another bean in the premier league's pocket ,unless the premier league do an about turn and show an ounce of decency , i am done with it ,i will get my football fix watching my grandson captain his under 14 team every Sunday , grass roots football , its the future

It must be hard giving up City, so well done to you sticking up for your principles.
I just couldn't do it, if i survive this I want to do what i love and that is going to City.
I haven't a grandson either. I doubt you will miss it after a while.

Meanwhile the 400,000 bits of PPE flown in from Turkey are not fit for purpose and languishes in a warehouse.

The NHS needs testing kits, the key workers need testing kits - what do the public think is actually happening when the cash-rich Premier League are trying to procure them just to get football on again?

Our NHS have it hard enough battling with other countries for what limited supply chain is already out there - without companies gouging prices.

We also saw it this week with the governor of California paying £1bn for PPE from China - he has basically told the rest of the US it is none of their business what they paid.

My dad is 67 and has COPD - this week I tried to get him a test online because he had a sore throat and some other minor symptoms.

Guess what? A text back to say there was no tests available right now in the area and no kits that can be sent out.

Yet the Premier League and the TV companies have enough cash at hand to ensure wealthy, supremely fit athletes such as Raheem and Pogba can get tested twice a week.

Not to mention, the kit man, the security guards, the massuse, the groundsmen.

Those people aren't to be blamed, they are wrongly being painted as the bad guys. - It is the Premier League, BT and Sky who should be fucking ashamed.

This is what I can’t get my head round. You’ve got someone like TH who by reading his other posts would appear to be suffering personal financial hardship directly because of the football closedown. Yet he can see the bigger picture and where priorities should be focused, but the people running the game can’t?

Imagine how much goodwill they could generate by saying, you know what, why don’t we pool our resources into making sure the PPE / Tests end up on the front line.

Last edited:
This is what I can’t get my head round. You’ve got someone like TH who by reading his other posts would appear to be suffering personal financial hardship directly because of the football closedown. Yet he can see the bigger picture and where priorities should be focused, but the people running the game can’t?

Imagine how much goodwill they could generate by saying, you know what, why don’t we pool our resources into making sure the PPE / Tests end up on the front line.

Health before wealth pal. Sergio has more money in his bank account than most of our season-ticket holders combined.

His wealth does not make him immune to either the virus or the worry for him and his family.

I will start again, I'll clean toilets or pick raspberries if I have to.

Loved ones come first for most people. I need to be able to look at myself in the mirror and for my wife and kids to know I will not compromise their safety just so I can earn again from football.

I'm guessing here but I am guessing that if football restarts then they will be using the point of care testing kits that return test results in hours rather than using the overnight testing infrastructure that patients and emergency workers use. At any rate the testing capacity is under utilised at present. In regards to PPE, I struggle to see how 1,000 footballers is really going to make an impact on a global market of billions of items.

The old are being let down in this country, and the poor. Always the way but football, the Premier League and the club are incidental to all this. Easy target. I'm not bothered whether premier League football returns or not. It's not on my list of priorities either but in a few days we'll be contemplating a whole series of measures that are far far more pertinent to risk, and the epidemic.

I'm guessing here but I am guessing that if football restarts then they will be using the point of care testing kits that return test results in hours rather than using the overnight testing infrastructure that patients and emergency workers use. At any rate the testing capacity is under utilised at present. In regards to PPE, I struggle to see how 1,000 footballers is really going to make an impact on a global market of billions of items.

The old are being let down in this country, and the poor. Always the way but football, the Premier League and the club are incidental to all this. Easy target. I'm not bothered whether premier League football returns or not. It's not on my list of priorities either but in a few days we'll be contemplating a whole series of measures that are far far more pertinent to risk, and the epidemic.
I was thinking more of the ambulances and attendant staff that you see at all games rather than the nature of the testing kits or how much PPE is being used by clubs.
The sport and entertainment industry has to be right at the bottom of the priority list for any kind of testing, safety equipment and medical staff at the moment though surely?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.