20 Years Ago Today - Blackburn (a) promotion game

We’d had a heads up from someone that worked there that the club had booked a suite at the Midland for a promotion celebration

So after getting back from Blackburn and having a few round town we made our way to the hotel. But lots of other blues must have had word as there were loads trying to get in but security were only allowing hotel residents in

Two of my mates had been wise enough to book a room so were allowed in. They still to this day boast about how they spent the night on the piss with the whole squad and Kev Horlock buying them drinks whilst completely refusing to let them put their hands in their pockets

Two years later we all booked rooms and went on the piss with Keegans boys

The pitch looks pretty full at the end. What was our allocation? How many were in the ground on the grassy knoll?
I live in aus , and we had it live in the early hours of the morning. I was amazed at the number of city fans , it was as if we swamped the place, not forgetting, this wasn’t York or Wrexham with small fan base. Made me feel proud how much support they gave the team, loved the mob on the hill and the fact Blackburn let them in at the end. I felt it was better than Gillingham, even though we got batteries in the first half, Jansen could have had s hat trick.the way they cane back in the second half, with players like Kennedy Dickov and Goater , who had been brilliant all year, scoring.. and Joe Royle. How great was he fir city in creating the team spirit... loved it... and the celebration s ... wow

Another great City awayday - got a ticket last minute in the 'Walker steel stand'. A complete rollercoaster of a match & back celebrating in the rainbar till closing.

On City+ tomorrow at 3pm...

CITY+ Watch Together games will be streamed every Saturday at 15:00 (UK) and every Wednesday at 19:45 (UK) on CITY+, which is free until football returns and available on desktop, TV and the Man City App.

CONFIRMED GAMES
  • City 1-0 Birmingham City 1999/2000 – Friday 8 May
  • Blackburn Rovers 1-4 City 1999/2000 – Saturday 9 May
  • City 3-2 QPR 2011/12 – Wednesday 13 May
  • Arsenal 0-3 City 2018 Carabao Cup final – Saturday 16 May
  • Arsenal 0-3 City 2017/18 – Wednesday 20 May
  • Chelsea 0-1 City 2017/18 – Saturday 23 May
  • City 3-2 Bayern Munich 2014/15 – Wednesday 27 May
  • Fans’ choice – Saturday 30 May

We’d had a heads up from someone that worked there that the club had booked a suite at the Midland for a promotion celebration

So after getting back from Blackburn and having a few round town we made our way to the hotel. But lots of other blues must have had word as there were loads trying to get in but security were only allowing hotel residents in

Two of my mates had been wise enough to book a room so were allowed in. They still to this day boast about how they spent the night on the piss with the whole squad and Kev Horlock buying them drinks whilst completely refusing to let them put their hands in their pockets

Two years later we all booked rooms and went on the piss with Keegans boys
Great story

Wow.....20 years ago.

I remember watching this in the MRI social club, getting absolutely hammered...trying to walk across to Stockport Road, but stumbling into the Plymouth Grove for what seemed hours (probably only a couple) celebrating with other blues.

I made it home and fell asleep on the bathroom floor.

Good times.......i turn 40 on Tuesday...no chance of me recovering from that nowadays. :-)

I was working in Tanzania. Found a hotel that had it on via Supersports, (South Africa). Being the only City fan in the country at the time, the locals were undecided if I had gone a bit mental for some vague footballing reason, or if I was genuinely mental.

One of the great City days. I was on such a high that I took three days off sick from work just to get stoned, watch the video and relive it.

We used to occasionally go on the club’s corporate away trips around this time. I remember thinking Blackburn might be a key game, and tickets would be tough, so we booked it for the game months in advance for £100. We got to Maine Road early morning and had a cooked breakfast in the Kippax suites along with pints. We’d brought a massive cool bag full of those little French beers which we drank on the coach - without a bottle opener, which was a nightmare . The whole journey was brilliant, blues everywhere in the sunshine and we met our mates outside the Fernhurst, still drinking those bottle beers. We ended up smashing to top of them sometimes which was not a good idea.

The game was incredible and I’ve never seen so many blues in an away ground. We got on the pitch after and my dad rang my mobile. He and my mum and sister were in Blackburn’s man stand and could see me and my mate doing bullfighting with a city flag. Coach back to Maine Road, waving at blues outside every pub. We got back to Maine Road and there were loads celebrating on the forecourt. They saw th posh coach and thought we were the team so mobbed it, and we lapped it up. Johnny Marr was there, on his own, and we had a good chat. We went up to the Kippax suites and had a pint but it was a bit tame so we got a cab back to do Didsbury. Every pub was mobbed it side with celebrating blues. At one point we passed a pub in withington or Fallowfield and my mate stick his head out the taxi waving a flag only for someone to Chuck a pint in his face. Fucking hell, that was funny.

Didsbury was packed with celebrating blues, stopping the traffic. We met more Mates there. At one point I was in a conga and a voice went “fucking hell, that’s my boss!”
and it was a lad who reported into me. We ended up as it got dark sitting in the window of Flanaghans, legs hanging out, watching the shenanigans in the street. The musician in there played “Hey Jude” and the whole street joined in with the City version.

After about 14 hours we went back to my flat and watched the game again on video. It was a truly epic, sunny, beautiful day when it really felt like we had come out of a long dark tunnel.

Hello, City are back, hello.
Don't think I will ever experience as good a days as that watching City pal it was a great period

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.