VE DAY

Have the UK finished paying back the money to the US? Obviously not the time to take cheap shots. Respect to those who served and gave the ultimate sacrifice
Finished paying in the 1980s.
The only country not to write off the debt.

Britain and the Commonwealth’s VJ Day is 15th August (different for America and different again for China); maybe we should celebrate today’s VE anniversary and that of VJ Day on 15th August this year, if things are in any way back to normal by then?
August?
This year?
Are you joking!

Britain and the Commonwealth’s VJ Day is 15th August (different for America and different again for China); maybe we should celebrate today’s VE anniversary and that of VJ Day on 15th August this year, if things are in any way back to normal by then?

As always it'll generate a small token article on the news and hardly anyone will notice it or give a toss.
VE day is a celebration of defeating the Nazis and the heroes who fought them
VJ day is remembrance of the atomic bombs and our heroes are forgotten

It is sad that so many generations don't know much if anything about the war,it might put what we are facing now into more context

Aside from the deaths from the war children were sent away for years,letters kept them in touch

"All" we are being asked to do is stay in our comfy houses with the partner and kids,it is tough for those you can't see but we have a hundred different devices to talk to them on

The country have rallied and volunteered to help,this is what the queen meant by this generation stands as well as any other generation in a crisis,she is the only monarch to have been involved in the war,9pm tonite she will address the nation again

RIP to the millions we lost in the world wars,gulf wars and dear to my heart,the falklands war

Winston Churchill's message to the nation at 3pm on 8 May 1945

He said how the Germans signed the act of unconditional surrender of all land seized in Europe.

Hostilities would end at one minute past midnight, he said.

"Today is victory in Europe day, tomorrow will also be victory in Europe day," he famously said.

"God save the king."

Spitfire about to tip a V1 off course by interfering with it's gyroscope.

tRnjxvoR.jpg

I like days like this. It gives Prince Charles something to do. Makes him feel useful. Bless.

Grateful for the sacrifices made that allowed us to have our freedom, that can't be forgotten.

Also want to send my thoughts out to all the German's who didn't have it easy and made the right choices as well.

I have family from both countries and I'm really close with my grandma, so it just reminds me of how hard she had it growing up near Wuppertal in the 40's and 50's.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.