VE DAY

Britain and the Commonwealth’s VJ Day is 15th August (different for America and different again for China); maybe we should celebrate today’s VE anniversary and that of VJ Day on 15th August this year, if things are in any way back to normal by then?
Is VJ Day a bank holiday PC ??

VJ day has not been made a bank holiday. A petition to have it as a national day, ie not a holiday but marked, was turned down by the government, thus the forgotten army will remain forgotten by a large number people.
Probably due to the Govt not wanting to lose millions from the country having another day off. Obviously this was before we all had to have a couple of months off, and the virus may yet out paid to most work on Vj day anyway.

VJ day has not been made a bank holiday. A petition to have it as a national day, ie not a holiday but marked, was turned down by the government, thus the forgotten army will remain forgotten by a large number people.
Bastards

Am I missing something here or do most people usually do nowt for this? I honestly can't remember the last time it was celebrated like this. Not a dig, not trying to be disrespectful or anything, just honestly surprised/curious. People are talking like it being celebrated by loads is a normal thing and I genuinely can't recall any time previously that its had this much attention. Have I been just hiding under a rock? Confused!

Am I missing something here or do most people usually do nowt for this? I honestly can't remember the last time it was celebrated like this. Not a dig, not trying to be disrespectful or anything, just honestly surprised/curious. People are talking like it being celebrated by loads is a normal thing and I genuinely can't recall any time previously that its had this much attention. Have I been just hiding under a rock? Confused!
Every 25 years is fairly normal. It's a bit like Dday in that respect.

I presume because 75 is a milestone number. Usually you’d get 2 minutes silence and that’s it.

Every 25 years is fairly normal. It's a bit like Dday in that respect.
I remember 1995. Whole school did a months work of rememberance, activities and ended in a huge garden party.

Back then I used to think this was something we celebrated every 5 years or so.

Nope, but it's the 75th anniversary so they built a whole thing around it this year, including moving the bank holiday from May Day to Friday. Then it all had to be cancelled anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.