20 Years Ago Today - Blackburn (a) promotion game

We went down early enough, a few had tickets, I was a student and couldn’t afford the tout prices outside.
There was tons more blues around that day than just those in the ground. We ended up in a packed pub, forget which one, a stones throw from the stadium. We were all watching that game on a battered tv in a precarious position. One pissed up blue smacked another guy when Blackburn scored, you thought it might start getting a bit nasty if things got worse.
So City equalise and the pub erupts, after we settle down, we turn around to notice that the tv had smashed onto the ground!
Cue a mass exodus from the pub over to the ground, we eventually got in at the Blackburn end, loads had come down from the hill at that stage and we kind of rushed through.
Mad celebrations and on the pitch at the final whistle, had a few jars locally after and then a taxi back to Manchester. Remember drinking outside one of the squares in town and then over to the Midland, loads of blues outside.
Ended up back in the Drop Inn in Fallowfield for a sing song. A great, great day.
I don’t really go anymore, kids and other life priorities have taken over. That period thigh of watching City was brilliant, our support was just immense. We’ve lost something over through years, maybe it’s just the expectancy nowadays but I’ll always remember the sheer emotion outside Ewood after that game, or Birmingham and Wigan in the same era. I’d say we were the best supporters around at the time. I love Joe Royle too, I think he ‘got’ us.

Great watch that on the City site with Dickov and Weaver providing some brilliant memories. What a fcking day that was. Right up there with the very best. Never forget my boss telling me that I fcking reeked of ale when I turned up for work the next day! This is how it feels to be City.

Watching this video as a city fan who wasn't even born when this game was played is unreal. I am only jealous of all the fans who got to experience it live. It really reminds me to remember where we came from and to not take any success we have for granted. I can only hope our support comes close to this some time in the future, maybe when we're shit again haha

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.