Car Detailing.

I'm no expert but I've polished a few cars in my time, usually older ones, I've never done a modern one.
The paint has to be clayed first to get rid of any tar deposits etc, or the polisher will just ride over them, making it look worse. Use soapy water as a lubricant. Don't drop the clay bar, if you do throw it away and buy another one.
Get a da polisher from halfords, you don't need to spend a fortune. It's pretty hard to burn the paint with one of these, don't press too hard, be careful on any panel edges, keep it lubricated. Don't do it on a hot sunny day. I've used Maguires and it worked for me but there is probably better stuff on the market.
I've had good results using just t cut on the mop, but it is quite harsh and is not water soluble, so use sparingly or it gets everywhere. Works well on old cars with plenty of paint or lacquer depth.
Do one panel at a time, never let it dry out.
Finish with a good quality wax.
I'm very much an amateur, hope that helps

Is there need for it to be clayed pre polish if its a newish car. Or is it just a matter of good husbandry to clay regardless and then finish of with a polish and wax ? I am starting to think the network Q lads are employing non trained bods in their PDI bay's as this has only just come to light. It was bought in November so was never visible in the winter months. Going to order a DA polisher as you recommend and have a go myself. Before the polisher arrives I will utilize the services of a Brain Impulse galvanoscope machine to transform me into a detailer of fine repute. I will update photos tomorrow weather permitting and thank you for your help mate, appreciated.

Last edited:
As others have said, it's a bit of a slog but well worth it.

- spray body work with a tar removing spray and rinse off.
- then spray with an iron remover and rinse off.
- wash car as normal with good car shampoo.
- clay paintwork all over the car. Use straight strokes, up/down not too much pressure.
- rinse again.
- dry car thoroughly with a good drying towel.
- using a DA polisher, and something like meguiars medium compound, go over the whole car, one panel at a time. Use the cross hatch method (left to right, then up to down). When the body work hazes use a good quality , plush microfibre towel to buff off.
- by now it should be miles better but to finish off nicely, apply a good wax. Paste is brilliant but a bit of a pain to apply. Or use a decent liquid wax. I use meguiars ultimate wax. You can apply this with a DA polisher as well if you don't want to do it by hand.
- a few hours later go over the bodywork with a good quick detailer (autoglym do a nice one, or meguiars maybe). This will really lift even more gloss out of the paintowrk for a showroom finish.

This is a big process but only needs doing twice a year. In between times you can just wash with the 2 bucket method and also use an aqua wax to keep the wax levels topped up.

I also use autoglym polar series for my weekly wash. Snow foam, snow shampoo and snow sealant. All applied via foam cannon. Quick, easy and effective.

Good luck.

Toothbrush in the air vents then spray lynx into them.

Won't help the car but might get you some action.

Disclaimer...I haven't read all the opening post.

Is there need for it to be clayed pre polish if its a newish car. Or is it just a matter of good husbandry to clay anyway and then finish of with a polish and wax ? I am starting to think the network Q lads are employing non trained bods in their PDI bay's as this has only just come to light. It was bought in November so was never visible in the winter months. Going to order a DA polisher as you recommend and have a go myself. Before the polisher arrives I will utilize the services of a Brain Impulse galvanoscope machine whilst simultaneously trawling the internet to make me a detailer of fine repute. I will update photos tomorrow weather permitting and thank you for your help mate, appreciated.

You're very welcome, like I said I'm no expert and I'm more than happy to be corrected on any of my comments. I've never ruined a car so I must be doing something right.
Yes you really need to clay it first, it removes a very thin layer of lacquer and any deposits. You will notice the difference in the smoothness of the surface straight away. Run a finger on the paintwork before and after claying and you'll see what I mean.
This gives a nice flat surface for the polisher to do its thing.
Start by doing a lower door panel just to get some confidence in the process. It's really not that difficult, but it does take time, expect it to take a full weekend.
Good call to check out some you tube, plenty of help on there.
Good luck

As others have said, it's a bit of a slog but well worth it.

- spray body work with a tar removing spray and rinse off.
- then spray with an iron remover and rinse off.
- wash car as normal with good car shampoo.
- clay paintwork all over the car. Use straight strokes, up/down not too much pressure.
- rinse again.
- dry car thoroughly with a good drying towel.
- using a DA polisher, and something like meguiars medium compound, go over the whole car, one panel at a time. Use the cross hatch method (left to right, then up to down). When the body work hazes use a good quality , plush microfibre towel to buff off.
- by now it should be miles better but to finish off nicely, apply a good wax. Paste is brilliant but a bit of a pain to apply. Or use a decent liquid wax. I use meguiars ultimate wax. You can apply this with a DA polisher as well if you don't want to do it by hand.
- a few hours later go over the bodywork with a good quick detailer (autoglym do a nice one, or meguiars maybe). This will really lift even more gloss out of the paintowrk for a showroom finish.

This is a big process but only needs doing twice a year. In between times you can just wash with the 2 bucket method and also use an aqua wax to keep the wax levels topped up.

I also use autoglym polar series for my weekly wash. Snow foam, snow shampoo and snow sealant. All applied via foam cannon. Quick, easy and effective.

Good luck.
All good advice, but put much better than I ever could!

All good advice, but put much better than I ever could!

Cheers mate. I used to just wash my cars 3 or 4 times a year in the local Asda and my cars were hanging.
I got into the "detailing" thing when I bought a pressure washer to clean my patio and now I'm addicted. I love cleaning my car.

There's a tonne of videos on YouTube. I really like the forensic detailing channel. He's not to everyone's taste but he knows his stuff and gives great advice.

Cheers mate. I used to just wash my cars 3 or 4 times a year in the local Asda and my cars were hanging.
I got into the "detailing" thing when I bought a pressure washer to clean my patio and now I'm addicted. I love cleaning my car.

There's a tonne of videos on YouTube. I really like the forensic detailing channel. He's not to everyone's taste but he knows his stuff and gives great advice.
No worries bud, you obviously know your stuff. My experience comes from back in the day when cars would go dull over time, I quickly learned how to add value by giving them a blitz with the old t cut.
These days I don't tend to polish my cars as much, but I'll happily spend a day detailing my motorbike, same principles though.
My current car apparently has some sort of ceramic coating applied. I'm not sure but the dirt does seem to just fall off when it rains. I've heard good and bad things about these coatings, have you any experience with them? Appreciate your thoughts

No worries bud, you obviously know your stuff. My experience comes from back in the day when cars would go dull over time, I quickly learned how to add value by giving them a blitz with the old t cut.
These days I don't tend to polish my cars as much, but I'll happily spend a day detailing my motorbike, same principles though.
My current car apparently has some sort of ceramic coating applied. I'm not sure but the dirt does seem to just fall off when it rains. I've heard good and bad things about these coatings, have you any experience with them? Appreciate your thoughts
Not had that done myself but it's something I'm looking into.
From seeing on YouTube etc it appears that when applied properly (on top of 100% clean and contaminant free paintwork) a ceramic coating is a godsend. It's a bit like wax x1000.

It puts a micro thin layer of ceramic on top of the clear coat which lasts for years and is really hydrophobic so water and dirt 'sit on top of' the bodywork and are really easily rinsed away.

What's putting me off is it seals in whatever is on the paintwork so I'd need to do a full body decontamination , then polish which to do properly would take hours and truth is I can't be bothered.

What I would say though is I'll have it on my next car straight after I've bought it.

Check out YouTube there are some really great channels on there dedicated to this stuff. If you're anything like me though, you'll lose hours just watching them.

If you've got it on you're all set. When you wash I bet it looks gleaming. One tip though, never ever wash with a sponge. Ever. They trap dirt and grot which you could easily transfer back to your paintwork and scratch the coating. Use a microfibre mitt or preferably a lambawool mitt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.