Car Detailing.

I generally use autoglym stuff as it's a bit cheaper than meguiars.

You don't have to ore wash but I always do as I like doing it so I either use the polar range (great of you have a pressure washer and a snow foam Lance): polar blast (pre wash), polar wash (shampoo) and polar seal (seals paintwork and process protection) .

If you don't have a pressure washer, or just fancy the traditional methods, I've used a citrus pre clean spray (can't remember the brand, not used or for a while) , autoglym shampoo and conditioner or meguiars shampoo, and any spray wax you like. Autoglym aqua wax is great and long lasting.

Even some of the cheaper stuff (simoniz, turtle Wax) is decent enough if you wash regularly but for really dirty cars I'd use a recognised semi premium brand (autoglym, meguiars, auto finesse etc).
Not used it myself but plenty of People swear by Halfords own label car shampoo

I use the classic "2 bucket method (2bm)". Ie, a bucket of clean water for rinsing, a bucket with your shampoo in. Wash a panel at a time, rinse your mitt in the rinse bucket, on to the next panel etc. The theory is you don't transfer dirt and grime from the mitt into the wash bucket and reduces the chance of swirling your paint. Important to use grit guards in your buckets as they keep the dirt trapped at the bottom of the bucket and stop it transferring on to your mitt.
Brilliant mate, thank you.
I use the 2 bucket method on my bikes so I'm familiar with that.
I do have a pressure washer but I've never used snow foam. After a bit of research it makes a lot of sense to do this before contact washing. I'll deffo give it a go.
Thanks very much for the advice mate, much appreciated

I generally use autoglym stuff as it's a bit cheaper than meguiars.

You don't have to ore wash but I always do as I like doing it so I either use the polar range (great of you have a pressure washer and a snow foam Lance): polar blast (pre wash), polar wash (shampoo) and polar seal (seals paintwork and process protection) .

If you don't have a pressure washer, or just fancy the traditional methods, I've used a citrus pre clean spray (can't remember the brand, not used or for a while) , autoglym shampoo and conditioner or meguiars shampoo, and any spray wax you like. Autoglym aqua wax is great and long lasting.

Even some of the cheaper stuff (simoniz, turtle Wax) is decent enough if you wash regularly but for really dirty cars I'd use a recognised semi premium brand (autoglym, meguiars, auto finesse etc).
Not used it myself but plenty of People swear by Halfords own label car shampoo

I use the classic "2 bucket method (2bm)". Ie, a bucket of clean water for rinsing, a bucket with your shampoo in. Wash a panel at a time, rinse your mitt in the rinse bucket, on to the next panel etc. The theory is you don't transfer dirt and grime from the mitt into the wash bucket and reduces the chance of swirling your paint. Important to use grit guards in your buckets as they keep the dirt trapped at the bottom of the bucket and stop it transferring on to your mitt.

Here's a Q for you, is there a product (either liquid or attachment) that gets you a fairly decent snow foam, without a pressure washer and lance? I don't have a driveway, so the car is much too far away from any mains for a power washer.

With that attitude I'm in!

Here are a few pics I promised to upload. Nothing of interest comes to mind as the weathers somewhat inclement today. But when that fiery ball hits her car at full frontal then it really is a bad day at Black Rock. People say ohh ohh don't ever buy a car in the rain, but equally that should apply to do not ever buy under a northern sky which is 75% of the time. The sun is unforgiving so best to look at your prospective purchases in all weather conditions and if that's not possible then maybe under different lighting. I will upload the swirls and buffer track/holograms if that's what they are? tomorrow if the sun returns. I shall tune in today and watch every available valeting video on the Tube and mid week do a practice run on my own banger before attacking her Astra. I expect to pay around a ton for the DA and a further £30 for the pads. Halfords seem to have a reasonable own brand for £85 but the reviewers say their supplied pads are pants. If the Meguires pads would fit which are 5 inchers then it could be a potential tool in the armoury. Does anyone have any recommendation for a reasonable DA at sensible money? I know you get what you pay for but all I want is to stop her fretting and walk away happy. I am not after entering any summer fetes or car shows, just enough to remedy the problem to hand. Again if the sun comes out I will snap a few shots of the dilema.

aq9JFMW.jpg

tpzbBkZ.jpg

aa6MKN5.jpg

al1GmeM.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a Q for you, is there a product (either liquid or attachment) that gets you a fairly decent snow foam, without a pressure washer and lance? I don't have a driveway, so the car is much too far away from any mains for a power washer.

Not that I know of. I've heard of hand pumped snow foam type things to use but couldn't say I know a lot about them. Demon foam do a 5l bottle with its own foam gun attached that they sell in Asda for about a tenner bit no idea how good it is.

I have a solution for dilemma ,that wont cost the earth.

go to tescos keeping the 2m rule as you go,buy the largest box of cornflakes you can buy(don't get tescos own they don't taste as nice as keloggs) also purchase
For the Pastry
  • 180g Plain White Flour
  • 80g Unsalted Butter
  • 30ml Water (Cold)
For the Filling
  • 135g Golden Syrup
  • 65g Butter (Unsalted)
  • 30g Billingtons Dark Muscovado Sugar
  • 1 Pinch Salt
  • 100g Cornflakes
  • 100g Strawberry Jam
  1. Begin by making the pastry. Place the flour and butter in a food processor and blitz until the mixture becomes like breadcrumbs. Then add water and blitz until you have a soft dough.

2. Turn out onto a floured surface and bring together with your hands. Wrap in cling film and chill for about an hour.

3. When you are ready to roll out your pastry, we recommend rolling out between two large pieces of baking parchment as your pastry will be easier to move about. You can lift the paper and add a little flour to ease its progress.

4. When your pastry has a diameter of about 28cm, gently remove the paper and roll up over your rolling pin and drape it over the tin, pressing gently to form the shape. Don't trim the pastry completely yet.

5. Place the lined tin in the fridge and chill again for at least 30 minutes.

6. Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan)

7. When you are ready, bake the pastry blind. Line the pastry with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 15 minutes then remove the paper and the beans.

8. Quickly and carefully trim the edges if you need to then return the pastry case to the oven to dry out for 5-10 more minutes. If it looks like it will brown too much, protect the edges with foil.

9. When cooked, remove from the oven and allow to rest while you make the filling.

10. For the filling, melt the butter, syrup, sugar and salt in a large pan. Once it is completely melted, stir in the cornflakes and mix gently to ensure that each one is coated.

11. Spread the jam over the base of the pastry case and then top with the cornflake mixture and gently spread out evenly.

12. Put the tart back in the oven for another 5 minutes, then leave to one side to harden slightly before serving.
    serve with custard, delicious
  13. ah yes,back to the point in hand,the cornflake box,cut it into strips , stick the strips to the car to shade it from the sun, hey presto no swirls

You've been drinking again haven't you Mr Frog.

Will everyone please be careful when posting pics as what you can see in reflections can be embarrassing, nice shoes by the way.

On an observational nuance, you are to be applauded, However that is "Harold" her Garden Gnome who is to photography what I am to fine detailing. If it was a human been then why is it's right foot three time bigger than it's left eh? I know we are hill people with the propensity for an extra digit or three but fook a proverbial duck if we do not have standards. That is all:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.