“The work of God”?

That's because they are. The first chapter from the big book of piss should have everybody who reads it say. Well, that didn't fucking happen so it's all shit. Reading the rest just reinforces how utterly ridiculous the whole thing is. Kill people who eat shrimps. Wear a two fibre turtleneck kill your kids for being cheeky. Kill thousands of babies, but, let the families who sacrifice a lamb and smear it's blood on their door. Kill everybody who doesn't share your faith, including your family. Kill all the inhabitants of any city who don't believe. Send out your daughter's to be raped when angels are in a bit of bother and people want to shag them. Don't know what happened to their wings, but there you go. A guy survives inside a fish for days. God tells a **** to kill his son and he is going to do it. Jesus attracts crowds of thousands but the Romans don't notice or report it. How to buy and treat your slaves. Even Jeezy Peezy said, be kind to your master, even the bad ones. His dad who is him and the ghost **** who us also him in a human fit of rage kills the world. In a flood that never happened. Unicorns, dragons and other mythical creatures abound. No dinosaurs though. Flat earth, centre of the universe, stars will fall to the earth and so on. It's fucking unadulterated bollocks. From the first paragraph to the last.
Amen.

I remember being dragged occasionally to church as a nipper, and even as a 4 year old was thinking, What. Is. This. Shite.

Mind you I was probably influenced by Mr Benn at that time, lucky I didn't see the episode he goes on a crusade to Jerusalem to slaughter the residents there.

Amen.

I remember being dragged occasionally to church as a nipper, and even as a 4 year old was thinking, What. Is. This. Shite.

Mind you I was probably influenced by Mr Benn at that time, lucky I didn't see the episode he goes on a crusade to Jerusalem to slaughter the residents there.

Any friend of Mr Benn is a friend of mine. And you're lucky, growing up in a Catholic house I was sent every fucking week until I was 12 and refused to go.. that was a fun time. Getting hassle at school and worse my mum..priest sent to the house to tell me why I needed to go to confession. After he gave me a long bullshit reason why I should, I asked him.

Does God know when I'm good.

Yes he does.

Does he know when I'm bad.

Yes.

Does he know when I'm sorry for what I've done.

Yes.

Then why do I have to tell you.

Mum wasn't pleased, to say the least. Never went back.

That's because they are. The first chapter from the big book of piss should have everybody who reads it say. Well, that didn't fucking happen so it's all shit. Reading the rest just reinforces how utterly ridiculous the whole thing is. Kill people who eat shrimps. Wear a two fibre turtleneck kill your kids for being cheeky. Kill thousands of babies, but, let the families who sacrifice a lamb and smear it's blood on their door. Kill everybody who doesn't share your faith, including your family. Kill all the inhabitants of any city who don't believe. Send out your daughter's to be raped when angels are in a bit of bother and people want to shag them. Don't know what happened to their wings, but there you go. A guy survives inside a fish for days. God tells a **** to kill his son and he is going to do it. Jesus attracts crowds of thousands but the Romans don't notice or report it. How to buy and treat your slaves. Even Jeezy Peezy said, be kind to your master, even the bad ones. His dad who is him and the ghost **** who us also him in a human fit of rage kills the world. In a flood that never happened. Unicorns, dragons and other mythical creatures abound. No dinosaurs though. Flat earth, centre of the universe, stars will fall to the earth and so on. It's fucking unadulterated bollocks. From the first paragraph to the last.
I think you missed the part in the bible that speaks of mankind's amazing ability to create something, and then magically transform oneself into its slave. Make an argument about a church and its book? Great. Might even make some good points - wonderful. But, if twenty years down the line, one finds oneself making the same argument in a way that make one miserable, then maybe its time to question whether I am the arguments master or its slave. Was it really the church and its book that brought unhappiness or the attachment to the argument? All those years of arguing about the church and its book and I could have been doing something enjoyable instead. Mental, huh?

I think you missed the part in the bible that speaks of mankind's amazing ability to create something, and then magically transform oneself into its slave. Make an argument about a church and its book? Great. Might even make some good points - wonderful. But, if twenty years down the line, one finds oneself making the same argument in a way that make one miserable, then maybe its time to question whether I am the arguments master or its slave. Was it really the church and its book that brought unhappiness or the attachment to the argument? All those years of arguing about the church and its book and I could have been doing something enjoyable instead. Mental, huh?
I think it's a simple question. Is it true? Should the guidance in it he observed? Should we allow the demonisation of human beings, women, gay people, because bronze age men thought they were inferior? If you don't, then arguing it's a false book. A book straight out of the minds of man and should be treated as such. And for me, as long as the proponents of this book and the other main two, keep pushing them as true, then I will challenge them to justify those claims.

I think it's a simple question. Is it true? Should the guidance in it he observed? Should we allow the demonisation of human beings, women, gay people, because bronze age men thought they were inferior? If you don't, then arguing it's a false book. A book straight out of the minds of man and should be treated as such. And for me, as long as the proponents of this book and the other main two, keep pushing them as true, then I will challenge them to justify those claims.
Oh, Ye of little faith!

;-)

Oh, Ye of little faith!

;-)

Faith is a flawed concept. It isn't a pathway to truth. A Muslim, a Jew and a Christian walk into a pub. They get themselves a drink that's allowed within their doctrine and each say how they have absolute faith in their version.. Well that maybe true, but at least two of them are wrong. But, and here's the best bit. It's always the other guy who is wrong. How wonderful it is that the faith you are indoctrinated into is always the right one? Faith is something I don't even have a little of. And for that I thank God. :)

All good points. There are also christian writers that would agree withs ome of what you have said. But I might also be looking at it another way.

Mankind is sitting around, wondering what to do. Decides to create beer. Good idea! (some of) Mankind then manages to make himself a slave of beer. Bad idea! Mankind then learns how to liberate himself from slavery to beer. Great idea! Through this, mankind might discover a mechanism to free himself from slavery in all areas of life, not just beer. Through having been enslaved, mankind might even come to know and appreciate freedom even more than before. And write books, songs and films to explore and celebrate this (and similar themes). Otherwise what would happen if on? went to the cinema? The film would start perhaps with an opening scene where things are going quite well... THEN, they carry on going quite well....AND. they finish quite well. Might leave the cinema and think 'that was ok but quite sure why I went. Get in the car, put on some Bob Marley...'Redemption songs,' ahhh.

I think it is. If you promote a book and say it's true, then add in that if you don't believe it's true you burn forever, that is immoral and then add in, it's probably most definitely the work of man, you then are responsible for behaviours and societal norms that are wrong to those humans who are castigated by men thousands of years ago.

Now the bible was directly responsible and still is, for prejudice against homisexual people. Society has ignored these books and recently agreed everyone should have the same rights. The same goes for women, who are chattels and the possession of men in all the books. All the books advocate and support slavery, yet, today that practise is looked upon as vile. So, these books inform certain people of what's right even when it is markedly wrong. Gay men in the UK went to jail for being who they are. In many countries they are killed even today.

These books are essentially the cause of much suffering and hate. If they were true and god was as psychotic, narccassitic, needy, jealous and murderously vengeful we would just have to out up with it. But, all of those conditions are remarkably human. So god creates people who he hates and tells us to hate them too. Tells us how to buy and keep slaves and be good to our masters even the bad ones? Don't eat shrimps? For fuck sake, the god figure is a combination of hippy and serial killing sociopath. The books are all insane. They make people insane who believe the shit that's in them. And worse, it gives them justification for that insanity.

The bible is just a story book and possibly Jesus did exist but instead of performing miracles was probably the Dynamo of his time and people fell for it all and it all gets exaggerated like Chinese whispers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.