HS2 - Cancel it now

The Irish Sea between NI and Scotland is more than four times as deep as the deepest point in the channel tunnel and it drops extremely sharply to that depth. A tunnel just isn't a feasible option. That's before factoring in all the munitions dumped there by the UK government after WW2. Plus nobody wants to blow up the channel tunnel.
I wouldn’t want to invest in this shit anyway when there’s a reasonable possibility of NI and Scotland seceding from the UK.

Let them pay for it if they want it.

I don't have a problem personally spending the money, I just think it is being spent on the wrong thing.

99% of people don't have any need to travel to London regularly or even semi-regularly. I also seriously doubt that anyone in London has any need to travel North unless we are going to see some diversification of London's service sectors which I seriously doubt.

Major US cities are largely connected only by air links yet the US has some of the strongest regional economies in the world. States like California are larger by their own right than most countries.

Imagine if those cities said they were redirecting money that could be used for local transport to invest in a high speed railway line to connect the east coast with the west, it would be almost laughable.

The government and previous governments have got this one completely wrong I'm afraid.
You can't really compare the UK with the US.

Any takers yet? - would go a long way towards cushioning the covid/brexit black hole in the treasury, and surely all the onlie remote working from home we've learned to do makes this even more of a white elephant? I understand the need for infrastructure investment, but wonder if it should be broadband rather than railways.

Bumpety-bump. Whose up for cancelling this shit now then?
Me, save the money on this waste of time!

And also we need to stop dishing out money left right and centre to random countries all around the world. It’s time for us to keep our own money now!

As much as WFH will reduce travel I think we still need it unless we want to rely on ancient and slow (125mph max) lines forever?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.