Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

This place is sure going to be a lot quieter without all the people who are going to stop watching football because of this.

Of course people will watch it when it comes back, and at the same time of course people are entitled to feel totally disenchanted, and even kinda repulsed, about the idea of it coming back at the moment. Football's importance has never been questioned in this way in our lifetime. For many, and I genuinely believe this to be true, they've realised how unessential it actually is. Being surrounded by death will do that to most people. It *does* feel unimportant at the moment...

However, they will likely tune back in, because deep down we all do want some semblance of normality, and we do love City. It'll be something to hold onto, and despite our better judgments morally, when its on, we'll have nothing else to do, so we'll watch it. We just don't like the idea of what City and football could mean at the moment. It feels gross to be perfectly honest, and that's fair enough isn't it? It doesn't make those people actual hypocrites, it makes them human. Conflicting thoughts on this are only natural, so there's no need to judge people or be sanctimonious about it. Just allow people these conflicting thoughts. It's a pretty awful and unprecedented time.

Of course people will watch it when it comes back, and at the same time of course people are entitled to feel totally disenchanted, and even kinda repulsed, about the idea of it coming back at the moment. Football's importance has never been questioned in this way in our lifetime. For many, and I genuinely believe this to be true, they've realised how unessential it actually is. Being surrounded by death will do that to most people. It *does* feel unimportant at the moment...

However, they will likely tune back in, because deep down we all do want some semblance of normality, and we do love City. It'll be something to hold onto, and despite our better judgments morally, when its on, we'll have nothing else to do, so we'll watch it. We just don't like the idea of what City and football could mean at the moment. It feels gross to be perfectly honest, and that's fair enough isn't it? It doesn't make those people actual hypocrites, it makes them human. Conflicting thoughts on this are only natural, so there's no need to judge people or be sanctimonious about it. Just allow people these conflicting thoughts. It's a pretty awful and unprecedented time.
Good post.

There's a difference between having conflicted thoughts, and declaring you're done with the entire sport if it comes back.

I'd guess for many its emotion, nothing more. Some people may feel that way of course - either way its understandable to lash out given how everyone feels. I guess they feel wronged by the game they love. I get that. We're all a bit upset/stressed at the moment.

So we should all just ignore everything that's posted because everyone can't control their emotions at the moment?

Come on mate, I didn't say that did I? Don't be obtuse. You're an intelligent guy. You know the point I'm making... I just don't think this is something to point score over from either side of the argument currently. I think we should all be a little more tolerant of clearly emotion lead (and ultimately harmless) opinions on a football forum. People are just venting. Anyway, this is going nowhere.

There's a difference between having conflicted thoughts, and declaring you're done with the entire sport if it comes back.
Most comments I've read are saying they're not interested in watching it right now and/or without fans, that's certainly where I sit, and have consistently said so, if its not safe for me to watch it, then its no more safe for players to play imho.

Excellent post.

I’m not done with the sport. Although I won’t watch a match if games resume for this season. It’s pathetic frankly. Just to give a cult a ribbon and keep the betting houses happy.

But someday when circumstances allow it I’ll tune in. Would imagine most City fans will too.

Yes, precisely. How many of the people who have no interest in watching it right now without fans, will in fact be sitting there watching it without fans as soon as it starts?

I'll guess it's most of them.

And my point, which I tried to put a lot more politely before, is 'so fucking what?'. Who cares? There's nothing to win here, other than being able to say 'I told you so'. Well done, you'll be right, but you'll win nowt. None of us will. Things are shite and we're all in it together whether we like it or not. If it makes you feel better though I guess, go for it, just like it makes people feel better to vent their disgust at it. Doesn't change anything either way though.

Ok so why bother posting at all?

If the comments are meaningless and you'll have changed your mind completely in 2 weeks - and you know it before you post - what's the point?

What do you get from posting that football coming back is abhorrent, and you're totally against it, knowing full well that the words are meaningless?

Because people like to vent and scream and shout sometimes. Why do you think so many of us tell people we love that we hate them when we're emotional? It makes them feel better for whatever reason. Its human nature. We all vent, we're all frustrated. As I said, right now it's pretty understandable, even it it is annoying. Everyone feels wronged. Anyway, goodnight mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.