Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

I was a student at University of Manchester. I did a Masters there in Astronomy and Astrophysics. I stayed on to write my research up as 'staff visitor', bu now I have accepted a Doctoral scholarship to work on a project related to Exomars (a joint Russian and European space agency mission to Mars delayed now to 2022). It relates to the Rosalind Franklin rover which is due to launch in 2022. I'll be using neutron diffraction to study the affect of perchlorate salts on the hydrogen bonding in water molecules, investigating the boundaries of life, and the self-assembly of bio-molecules, the initial building blocks of life.
Bet you were shit at football

The BBC and rest of the media are in wankathon mode it’s comedy. They’re giddy like children expecting santa.
The deaths that continue to happen because of this virus doesn’t seem to bother them at, just lets get the season started again, without fans, it doesn’t matter. What does that say you all??
I won’t be PAYING to watch any football on SKY/BT/ etc ever again. They’ve shown they only care about their gravy train slowing.
As much as I’ve followed city for over 45 years, I think I’m going to give it all a miss from now on. The PL has shown itself to be interested in nothing more than money. It’s not the fans.
please stay safe blues. I won’t be going again, and I feel that this is going to come back with a vengeance, but the PL won’t care, they’ll have got what they wanted.

From the chief medical officer in the daily briefing

When can competitive football start? Small carefully measured steps,safe return to training ,have to see how that goes before thinking about playing games
What he is saying is that each step a player makes has to be carefully measured and has to be small. They are still working on the final measurement but i'm guessing no more than 1m to keep players two steps from contact

The BBC and rest of the media are in wankathon mode it’s comedy. They’re giddy like children expecting santa.
The deaths that continue to happen because of this virus doesn’t seem to bother them at, just lets get the season started again, without fans, it doesn’t matter. What does that say you all??
I won’t be PAYING to watch any football on SKY/BT/ etc ever again. They’ve shown they only care about their gravy train slowing.
As much as I’ve followed city for over 45 years, I think I’m going to give it all a miss from now on. The PL has shown itself to be interested in nothing more than money. It’s not the fans.
please stay safe blues. I won’t be going again, and I feel that this is going to come back with a vengeance, but the PL won’t care, they’ll have got what they wanted.
My sentiments entirely. I've said that if they play one home game without me being there, they can play all future games without me.

At the end of the day, this swill come down to the players. If the players are prepared to play and will be playing for us, then I will be watching, as I will support City through thick and thin.

What I hope happens is that the players refuse to play. Football is not as essential service. If it can not operate without the participants using social distancing measures, then it is clearly not safe at this time. Football should be no different from Dominos. If it is not safe for people to actually go in a Dominos and order a pizza, then how is it safe to play football?

The players have the power. We are not talking about league 2 players on 50K a year, with mortgages to pay. We are talking about multi-millionaires in most cases. They can afford to stand by their principals. Thankfully a few have already spoken out against playing. The PFA should be supporting these players. All the power is in their feet, so to speak.

Yet, if they are silly enough to agree to play, I will watch it, I am not going to lie.

At the end of the day, this swill come down to the players. If the players are prepared to play and will be playing for us, then I will be watching, as I will support City through thick and thin.

What I hope happens is that the players refuse to play. Football is not as essential service. If it can not operate without the participants using social distancing measures, then it is clearly not safe at this time. Football should be no different from Dominos. If it is not safe for people to actually go in a Dominos and order a pizza, then how is it safe to play football?

The players have the power. We are not talking about league 2 players on 50K a year, with mortgages to pay. We are talking about multi-millionaires in most cases. They can afford to stand by their principals. Thankfully a few have already spoken out against playing. The PFA should be supporting these players. All the power is in their feet, so to speak.

Yet, if they are silly enough to agree to play, I will watch it, I am not going to lie.

I agree with everything apart from the last line
I will not be watching if they are stupid enough to play.

Of course people will watch it when it comes back, and at the same time of course people are entitled to feel totally disenchanted, and even kinda repulsed, about the idea of it coming back at the moment. Football's importance has never been questioned in this way in our lifetime. For many, and I genuinely believe this to be true, they've realised how unessential it actually is. Being surrounded by death will do that to most people. It *does* feel unimportant at the moment...

However, they will likely tune back in, because deep down we all do want some semblance of normality, and we do love City. It'll be something to hold onto, and despite our better judgments morally, when its on, we'll have nothing else to do, so we'll watch it. We just don't like the idea of what City and football could mean at the moment. It feels gross to be perfectly honest, and that's fair enough isn't it? It doesn't make those people actual hypocrites, it makes them human. Conflicting thoughts on this are only natural, so there's no need to judge people or be sanctimonious about it. Just allow people these conflicting thoughts. It's a pretty awful and unprecedented time.
Excellent post mate, exactly my thoughts.

The press conference today said nothing about June when asked specifically about the premier league by a reporter. Or I miss understood the implication he was making, just mainly bluff and bluster with no dates set for a. return. Stay safe all you blues out there

We still have a relative in intensive care on 100% oxygen she is only youngish with a young family so incase anyone doubts how bad this awful covid can be she is very poorly and unconscious. Her only crime was to help people out and that’s how she caught it.
Hope she pulls through Blue

I was a student at University of Manchester. I did a Masters there in Astronomy and Astrophysics. I stayed on to write my research up as 'staff visitor', bu now I have accepted a Doctoral scholarship to work on a project related to Exomars (a joint Russian and European space agency mission to Mars delayed now to 2022). It relates to the Rosalind Franklin rover which is due to launch in 2022. I'll be using neutron diffraction to study the affect of perchlorate salts on the hydrogen bonding in water molecules, investigating the boundaries of life, and the self-assembly of bio-molecules, the initial building blocks of life.
That explains why you sometimes come over as a bit of a Space Cadet;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.