Weird Away Days

Had loads of corporate trips as a guest of Carlsberg to the Britannia when Stoke were in the top flight. In the big lounge, within the main stand. Food was always decent tbf, as was the service. Some ferocious, amazing days out. Always loads of blues in there too. Plenty of families as well, including loads of young kids.

There was always a pre-match compère, and one year it was some third-rate curly haired Midlands comedian who used to be on Tiswas: Ian ‘Sludge’ Lees (now deceased). Not remotely funny. Seemed beaten down by life.

His act was meandering along, in a fairly anodyne fashion, when a pretty young waitress walked past him. My guess would be she was about 17.

“If she was my daughter I’d still be bathing her” her bellowed. The whole room fell immediately silent. I actually heard someone stirring a spoon in a cup about three quarters of a second after the words left Sludge’s mouth.

We were still talking and laughing about that long after Yaya had equalised.

That was seriously weird.

1990?
We've been singing that for years before surely?
Was the first time I recall it to?,yes I’d heard it sung before but never the way the Sunderland fans sung it on this occasion.

what I mean it was the version where there is two claps after every line with the ‘eye eye yippee ‘ bit thrown in at the as well !
plus the fact that the hold crowd seemed to be taking part and did it as though they was singing the National anthem,left a lasting impression on myself as well !

great days !

Was this the game where a supporters branch (can't remember which) all took the head rest coverings of the coach seats and used them as head gear to try and protect them from the cold. I am also pretty sure this was the game me and my mates had a reception committee from a handful of scrotes outside an off licence before the game. One mate came out of the shop first and was approached by four of them asking him the time. I came out a few seconds later asking what the fuck was going on followed by another mate. They fancied four onto one but funnily enough not four on three. Twats.

A sort of double header away day....Brighton at the weekend where it was so hot the sun popped my banana (and that steward ended up getting sacked for heading the ball over the stand roof) & then onto Shrewsbury with a very late Griffiths goal in the snow, couldn't see the motorway markings for quite a few miles travelling home.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.