How would you say you are coping mentally?

Been ok and very up beat this week until today. After yesterday of doing our food runs, the roads are back to full madness, the high street was fully open , loads of people out and about. I am now scared all the sacrifice of the last few months is about to be wasted. Lockdown isnt happening in my area it's back to normal apart from the schools not being back.

We all fear the worse when we look at the news and see those intensive care units. Is a bit like when we see someone have an accident, natural reaction is God that could have been me.How I cope with things to keep me sane is to look at the odds. They say on average 1-400 has the virus at the moment. That’s pretty long average odds. I then think am I in a particularly high risk group of dying from it, ethnic minority, high risk job, age range, diabetic, asthmatic, underling illness etc. I am no mathematician but I reckon on if you don’t fall in to any of these groups your risk of dying from it are probably around 20000 to 1. That’s probably around 10000 times the odds of something else killing me and I don’t go around worry about those things.

Weird one today. I've had an awful lot on professionally. Easily the most I've had to do on a single day since this all started. I thought it'd be quite cathartic to feel busy. End of the working day and it's left me feeling quite numb. All felt so...trivial? Bit of a shitter. Just felt numb from it all and absolutely no sense of satisfaction at all. Maybe it's because usually at the end of the day it's like 'great! now I get to live my life!', and well...you can't. All that work for no reward.

Could be something else too - was chatting to a friend about a similar feeling a few weeks back and they referenced Maslow's Hierarchy of needs. Bit a-level psychology this, obviously, but maybe there's sumat in it.

maslow-needs2.webp

I think it's pretty difficult to get anywhere near the top when so many aren't anywhere near content with the two basic needs. Reckon it could be a bit of a problem for people all over the world. Productivity will drop off a cliff I think, not through choice either. Just people won't feel anywhere near their true self. I'm a really creative fella and have always had the urge to create and make things throughout my life. Just disappeared entirely over the past few months.

Think there's going to be issues like this that we've not really thought about. Poor decision making in work, people operating at about 70% mentally cos their head is elsewhere etc. It'll be a weird time. Anyway, just something to ponder.

Yes, I felt drained when doing work that couldn’t be done from home so I’ve pretty much jacked it in. Not everyone can afford to of course. I’ve had a lot more energy helping neighbours / friends with jobs on a voluntary basis and tidying up a community garden.

Feeling abit more nervous now that more people are out and about. Had two people come when in 2 meters today to ask about foodbanks. Had to asked them to stand away from me.

This week alone I must of had at least 10 or more people come within two meters when trying to deliver to foodbanks. People seem to think the lockdown is over and its scary and I am scared that we might be at a higher risk now.

it’s been quiet in North Leeds apart from Friday (VE 75) when everywhere seemed to be busier than normal. That said, I think that one night of letting off steam has helped most people to return to focus on health / safety, like it was before the Government briefed the press that the lockdown was going to end.

I think I've said on this thread previously that I'm absolutely fine as long as I live in the moment and dont let my mind wander forwards to think about what I'm missing out on and everything that has been cancelled. Unfortunately today is one of the days I'd been looking forward to as I should have been at a family members wedding so it was quite sad to see that pop up as a reminder on my phone this morning. As a result I'm a bit fed up today.

Just watched Trump's latest pish so feel very angry and sad that this fucking **** is still alive.

I love your posts Gordon so If I may offer a small snippet of advice. Raise of your right arm with palm outstretched and espouse "Get back you bastard" in an authoritative tone. It has worked for me thus far and to this very day my breathing remains non erratical.

Much as I’m willing to believe you have gravitas, the two guns might have put them off too.

Was doing ok until every **** thought lock down ended and went about ruining all the good efforts made so far.

The photo outside Dovestones yesterday sealed it for me.

At least we know where the priority lies now, economy over money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.