COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sorry for children waiting for certain grades to get into the right form in college, teachers are giving them predictive grades which is stressing my daughter out even more
Couldn’t even have their prom day or say a proper goodbye to their friends

The positive side of this is that all of the College's I have spoken to over the last couple of months (I'm actually a career adviser based in a secondary school) are being brilliant with the students. Many are posting things on their websites that students can be doing to help prepare them for September as best they can.
In terms of her grades, the input from teachers is one of about half a dozen things that are being taken into account to calculate them. Everything from previous mock results and predicted grades through progress reports and any written work submitted through the course are being used. There's possibly even an argument that what they are using is a fairer way of gauging a students ability than getting them to sit a 2 hour exam. Obviously it's only fairer if you knew they were the criteria beforehand but still.

And you think teachers don’t?!

My daughter has not stopped teaching. The catchment area of her school is affluent. She has been teaching small numbers of young children from NHS staff on the front line. Surgeons, Doctors, Nurses to name but a few. Obviously easier to cope with small numbers and touch wood she has not knowingly contracted the virus. She volunteered to be one of the teachers to continue to teaching knowing the risks but feels it is her duty. She said how can she expect the NHS Staff do their bit and not her. For those teachers still teaching she has not heard of any teachers contracting the virus from the children. Obviously we are talking about small numbers and likely to be different when all of the children are back. Although she is working with children whose parents are at risk.

He said people should be back to work and schools.open on May 4th in April much to the bafflement of his peers.

He is big into alternative medicine and is an expert on cancer not viruses so I would say it is wishfull thinking based on his own personal opinion.

He also calls the NHS the last bastion of communism.

He's a bit of a loon, an outlier for the most part , though the last bit is true.
NHS heroes on the front line but backed up by useless bureaucratic structures that the Soviet Union would have been proud of. Zero tactical flexibility in a crisis and the place where most responsibility for the care home infections lie, if you want to blamestorm that is.

Last edited:
That is shit.

You really have to feel for the youngsters who have had such important exams messed up.

On the other side of the coin you have my youngest lad who is 18 and should have been doing his A levels. As a result of all the disruption he is to have grades based on course work I believe. He has also managed to secure himself a place at Edge Hill Uni which he reckons in a normal year is not easy to do.

Whilst he is supposed to be revising for his A levels he is now working and making money, not only this he has admitted he had done fuck all revision and would probably have not got the grades he wanted so whilst he would not have wished this pandemic on anyone he has done very well out of it.

There is some anecdotal evidence of this in Stockholm. They do random testing for antibodies. They estimated 25% at one point but also said they saw signs of herd immunity in the number of cases being reported at the same time. Those two things don't agree, so there is something going on which isn't fully understood.

I think we still need to get a vaccine. Even if the infection level drops it's not going to disappear on it's own.

This happened with SARS/MERS (one or both I think) so it’s not a huge jump to such a conclusion (one I’ve I hoped for myself).
But yep...he’s in different fields. Prof Brian Cox is a clever bloke but you won’t find him stepping in virologist/epidemiologist toes.
Still...it’s a nice thought.

There’s a lot of counter thought out at the moment tinged with light conspiratorial flavours:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/05/15/we-could-open-up-again-and-forget-the-whole-thing/

You really have to feel for the youngsters who have had such important exams messed up.

On the other side of the coin you have my youngest lad who is 18 and should have been doing his A levels. As a result of all the disruption he is to have grades based on course work I believe. He has also managed to secure himself a place at Edge Hill Uni which he reckons in a normal year is not easy to do.

Whilst he is supposed to be revising for his A levels he is now working and making money, not only this he has admitted he had done fuck all revision and would probably have not got the grades he wanted so whilst he would not have wished this pandemic on anyone he has done very well out of it.

Look on the bright side he’d of only got his telly robbed:)

The guy is the biggest spin doctor in the world.

He said people should be back to work and schools.open on May 4th in April much to the bafflement of his peers.

He is big into alternative medicine and is an expert on cancer not viruses so I would say it is wishfull thinking based on his own personal opinion.

He also calls the NHS the last bastion of communism.

Are you referring to this? He wasn't far off the mark, if so. Not everything he posts/says is based on scientific facts, but scientific possibilities. When fatality stats were at their worst, he was quick to point out the possible slowing of infection rates. It's not putting a spin on things as such, but finding positives in a world filled with negatives. That's ok in my book, infact the world could do with more like him.

Unfortunately true.

She shares a house rental with 4 other students but cannot up to now be reimbursed.
Hopefully something will be done about her final finals but up to now she is back home with her mum and dad.
I wish you all good fortune in trying to sort this out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.