Awful songs by bands you love

I love the Bunnymen and the Cure but cannot stand Lips Like Sugar and Friday I’m In Love

I don’t necessarily love Supertramp, but I do love the Breakfast in America record — all of it, except “Casual Conversations”. That’s the one song that sticks in my head on one record that I skipped every single time I played that album after hearing it twice.

This automatically scrubs Sgt Pepper from any ‘Greatest Albums’ lists.

I take your point here, even if I have a soft spot for WISF, but the achievements made by L&M have to put it up there. It’s not my favourite or even second favourite Beatles album, and I absolutely worship them, but it was a massive precursor for many bands output & has a firm legacy. Revolver is the key for me; if that hadn’t been recorded, there’d have been no Peppers. That said, if there’d been no Rubber Soul, there’d be no Pet Sounds which L&M definitely drew from to make Peppers. Think the fairest way I can put it is that it deserves to be in any greatest albums list, but it may not be as high as some of its other competitors if you get me?

It’s certainly aged the least well of all the Beatles albums, primarily because so many of the tracks on it involved experimentation of some sort. Backward tape loops, unconventional instruments, whistles audible only to dogs, fairground noises, farmyard animals, etc. It was groundbreaking because it showed the world what could be done in the studio, but for all its faults, it still yielded “A day in the life”, “She’s leaving home”, “Lucy in the sky with diamonds” and “With a little help from my friends” on it, plus “Strawberry fields” and “Penny Lane” from the same session.
I probably play it less than any other Beatles album if I’m being honest though

Cannot agree gents. Sgt Pepper is an absolute masterwork other than Within You Without You. As well as day in the life and the others you mention there s also Fixing A Hole and Getting Better which are great songs. It is easily their best in my opinion. In fact some of their other albums are overrated big time. Abbey Rd for starters. It is good but no way a classic. All that Polythene Pam and other parts of that suite that everyone raves about total bobbins ! And j cannot listen to Oh Darling just a loud wail from start to finish. As someone said their early albums had some complete dross on them too.Also their final album Let It Be was not a great way to finish to say the least !

Oddly, I think “It’s all too much” is terrific.

The Beatles major “no-no’s” for me include

1. Lovely Rita
2. Martha my dear
3. Revolution no.9
4. Piggies
5. Within you, without you
6. Act naturally
7. Honey don’t
8. Little child
9. When I get home

1 & 2 - McCartney at his sentimental, twee, saccharine worst.
3 - Lennon at his pretentious, avant-garde worst, criminally wasting 8 minutes of the White Album that could have gone to Hey Jude.
4 - Harrison doing the same thing as Lennon. What possessed him to favour it over “Sour milk sea” I have no idea.
5 - Harrison indulging his India obsession with a boring 5 minute blob of sitar’s and tabla’s that has no place on a rock album.
6 & 7 - Why the Beatles chose to waste a track on all their early albums by letting Ringo Starr sing some knockabout track is a mystery. The worst offerings on Beatles for Sale and Help respectively
8 & 9 - Two early throwaway numbers by Lennon that try too hard for that Beatles sound in my opinion. Sound like he wrote them in 5 minutes flat, and again, how they got the nod over “A world without love” or “One and one is two” is baffling
I love Lovely Rita and Martha.
I also really love Within you and Without You.
One of Georges good songs, even George Martin and John loved it.
They didn't put singles on LPs so Hey Jude was never going on there.
When I get Home, I love. ;)

I take your point here, even if I have a soft spot for WISF, but the achievements made by L&M have to put it up there. It’s not my favourite or even second favourite Beatles album, and I absolutely worship them, but it was a massive precursor for many bands output & has a firm legacy. Revolver is the key for me; if that hadn’t been recorded, there’d have been no Peppers. That said, if there’d been no Rubber Soul, there’d be no Pet Sounds which L&M definitely drew from to make Peppers. Think the fairest way I can put it is that it deserves to be in any greatest albums list, but it may not be as high as some of its other competitors if you get me?
Maybe can even top ‘most important album’ lists, but it’s nowhere near one of the best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.