Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

Something was got in the early hours in my garden.
Came down to find a pile of feathers and a few with flesh attached to them in the middle of the lawn.

Lots of birds at the moment. Feeders going full bore, top them both up at least once a day(one is a two layer). Blue tits, great tits, green finch, goldfinch, blackbirds gleaning: only problems are the bloody wood pigeons and crows. The other problem is the rat. Can't put poison down because of the birds, I have a rat trap in a box but I have to move it at night because a hedgehog keeps getting its foot trapped in it. Wish I could find a way for it to take the trap, slathered in peanut butter and plenty of bird seed inside but it goes everywhere except in the f..king box.
Each day we get a visit for about ten minutes of hooligan starlings. They go ballistic at the feeders then clear off.

We've got blue tits, nesting in a box near the house, with some chicks in there. Yesterday we had a visitation from a couple of gold finches.

I bought a tub of suet pellets. within seconds there must of been 50 Starlings swooping down.

Just bought a bird table to give others a chance.

I was just about post and ask if anyone can identify a bird that has been on my feeder a few times over the last couple of weeks,but have never seen before.
Its a large mainly brown bodied bird with a few different coloured rings on the upper body/neck,i have just seen Mr Hannah explain about the Whoopee,it could be that,but i dont think its head had that aerodynamic bit on its head.

Gotcha! About fifteen minutes ago. He's a beauty, isn't he? No idea what he is. His call was like nothing else I've heard round here. A single note, kind of echoey, ghostly, in doublets and triplets.
He was quite happy there, but he clocked me taking the photo. One click, then I looked, he was gone. Just the noise of the shutter did it.

That is a great photo,well done for getting it,no idea what it is,did you find out?

Edit,seen the other posts identifying it

Something was got in the early hours in my garden.
Came down to find a pile of feathers and a few with flesh attached to them in the middle of the lawn.
That is a hawk of some kind,i get them,seen them a couple of times take down a bird,pluck it so it weighes less for them to carry,it is some sight

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.