21 years ago today, the Wigan (A) playoff game

There's quite a an interesting fact attached to Wigan. Dave Whelan, the then Wigan chairman, broke his leg playing for Wigan in an fa cup final during his playing days.

Little known fact for you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's quite a an interesting fact attached to Wigan. Dave Whelan, the then Wigan chairman, broke his leg playing for Wigan in an fa cup final during his playing days.

How’s he managed to go all these years keeping that a secret by not talking about it?

True. I was at Wembley with my dad watching the game

True. I was there in May 1960 when Whelan was carried off just before half time playing for Blackburn who eventually lost to Wolves. There were no substitutes in those days.
Thereafter, Whelan use to mention it every time he was interviewed .

Haha even the Wigan players took the piss out of Whelan for his ‘interesting’ story.

giphy.gif

True. I was at Wembley with my dad watching the game

True. I was there in May 1960 when Whelan was carried off just before half time playing for Blackburn who eventually lost to Wolves. There were no substitutes in those days.
Thereafter, Whelan use to mention it every time he was interviewed .
I wonder if @Lupo and @Wanderingwolf have ever heard this story.

On second thoughts, I doubt it, as it has rarely been mentioned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.