Good City Player autobiographies

Ok, he didn't play for us but Keegan's is a good read, clearly enjoyed his time at City.

Other footballing ones: Paulo Di Canio, Paul McGrath (yeah a rag, but an astonishing story), and Jimmy Armfield for a great read about how it used to be.

For something different, Andrea Pirlo’s autobiography is very good indeed. On another tangent, Futebol by Alex Bellos is an excellent potted history of Brazilian football.

Last edited:
Tony Cascarino's autobiography is the best football book I've ever read.
Read Cascarino's a while back and enjoyed it. Although hes also not a blue I also found Paul McGrath's a good read. City wise Lake and Morrison's pulled no punches at times and would recommend both. I find a lot of football biographies follow the same formula and can be a bit predictable.
Not a football book and I don't really follow boxing but Eamon Magee's book is some story.

Last edited:
Not an autobiography but Mark Metcalfs book about Frank Swift is well researched on this City legend.
Covers the title and FA Cup win in the 1930s,also has a lot of background stuff about the game at the time,a different era.What surprised me was the 84 k record crowd v Stoke he reckoned there were 25 k Stokies in the ground,unheard of these days with sanitised all ticket football.Even then City took a lot of away fans to London games.

Recently I read The Mixer: The History of Premier League Tactic from Route One to False Nines by Michael Cox. It reviews tactics used on a season by season basis showing how rule changes, such as the backpass rule, changed the game.

I was enjoying it very much until I got to the 2013-2014 season where the focus was all on Liverpool with barely a mention for Pelligrini's amazing attacking style and Yaya's awesome performances. This did lead me to question the rest of the book and how skewed the other chapters might have been.

I still think it is worth a read but I would feel guilty if a City fan paid money for it because of the biased coverage of that season. If you search for the title you can find it free in PDF format - I would normally feel guilty about suggesting this as I believe authors, musicians, artists etc. should be paid for their work but Mr Cox seems to have given into the temptation to pitch for the red team market so not going to worry about it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.