COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably get flamed for this, and I should start with a big caveat that clearly *some* people do have mental health issues which are very real and sometimes very serious.

However, it seem to me that either the entire nation is suffering from some kind of weird and inexplicable explosion in mental illness... Or, the alternative far more likely scenario, which is that there a fuck of a load of snowflakes who just need to man the fuck up.

Only last night I heard some poor soul whinging on about how worried they were about COVID-19 and that "i'm worried about the effect on my mental health". Do people not realise that "being worried" is perfectly normal??? Some people seem incapable of dealing with even an atom of stress. I've spent my entire life being stressed and worried. It's what humans do. And we just have to get on with it, not whinge about "our mental health".

I definitely agree that some people will overreact, but it is worth remembering that not everyone will be doing so.

There has been plenty of studies on this. Many aren't overreacting, not by choice anyway. Their bodies are stuck in a constant state of fight or flight due to a feeling of danger from a killer virus that potentially harms their loved ones, which they can't get out of. Usually these moments are resolved quickly there and then during the event causing them. You can run away from danger etc...we can't resolve this though. It's inescapable. It's not something most are used to. Hardly anyone is in fact.

Thus tension kicks in, adrenaline constantly courses through the body keeping you 'alert' because of danger, and this is where anxiety kicks in. They're not doing it by choice, it's literally biological. It's shite. Add to the fact that all the things they usually do to reassure themselves - see their friends, family, go out for food, film, whatever, are no longer there, and you've got a recipe for an unhealthy mind. I'm going to guess too that life experiences will help some, of course, as will their status in life, their general feeling of security and how they live.

I'd wager someone in their late 40s/early 50s with a good amount of money in their bank, kids safely at home with them, say without parents around anymore unfortunately (so no real concerns about vulnerable relatives), would feel an awful lot better and more secure about their personal situation than someone in their late 20s/early 30s with parents with comorbidities who have to go to work still, no financial security and couped up in a tiny flat without a garden. That's just one example, and obviously I've used a couple of examples close to me to try and sum up how I feel.

Some people are just more emotionally sensitive too. Not by choice. Just how they are. 'Man up' isn't a viable option. It's basically saying 'rewire your brain'. Honestly, I bet they wish it was that easy. I do! I'm a *very* rational person, but I'm also an emotional one too. I can't help it, i've always been deeply empathetic. My brain fears the worst, and it isn't by choice. I'm a hopeful, optimistic person who has never even been close to having mental health problems, and my friends see me as strong and rational, but this has knocked me for six. It's the feeling of helplessness that I'm personally not used to. I can't *do* anything. I can't protect my family. I've never had that before, and it's weird... now I am handling it well largely, and in my day to day life (away from this forum where i can be an annoying **** ha) i'm good, but that's down to having a wonderful partner who supports me, like I support her. Some people don't have that either.

Emotional people can be annoying, but we're not all bad. Some of those emotional people will be the ones writing the films/music/books etc that we love, so they're worth putting up with ha. I do look at some of my mates who are acting as if everything is fine, and they genuinely can shrug it off, and I envy it! My brother isn't arsed. He's my biological brother and we couldn't be more different. I wish I could take that approach, as I'd have a lot less sleepless nights, but I can't. Trust me, I've tried. We can't help who we are, and it'd be boring if we were all the same. Long story short, while I agree that many are probably overreacting a bit, I'd wager lots aren't mate. It *is* an unprecedented, horrible time, and many people will be confused, lonely and messed up right now. Their way of living, their hopes and dreams, their family...all disappeared. It's shite.

Thanks. I’m not arsed about myself, I don’t want my 3yo to get it as he has a hole is an artery and I don’t know how that would play out. It can cause him breathing difficulties, especially in the heat so it’s tricky.

go and get tested . With those circumstances they will test you.

I'll probably get flamed for this, and I should start with a big caveat that clearly *some* people do have mental health issues which are very real and sometimes very serious.

However, it seem to me that either the entire nation is suffering from some kind of weird and inexplicable explosion in mental illness... Or, the alternative far more likely scenario, which is that there a fuck of a load of snowflakes who just need to man the fuck up.

Only last night I heard some poor soul whinging on about how worried they were about COVID-19 and that "i'm worried about the effect on my mental health". Do people not realise that "being worried" is perfectly normal??? Some people seem incapable of dealing with even an atom of stress. I've spent my entire life being stressed and worried. It's what humans do. And we just have to get on with it, not whinge about "our mental health".

giphy.gif

I definitely agree that some people will overreact, but it is worth remembering that not everyone will be doing so.

There has been plenty of studies on this. Many aren't overreacting, not by choice anyway. Their bodies are stuck in a constant state of fight or flight due to a feeling of danger from a killer virus that potentially harms their loved ones, which they can't get out of. Usually these moments are resolved quickly there and then during the event causing them. You can run away from danger etc...we can't resolve this though. It's inescapable. It's not something most are used to. Hardly anyone is in fact.

Thus tension kicks in, adrenaline constantly courses through the body keeping you 'alert' because of danger, and this is where anxiety kicks in. They're not doing it by choice, it's literally biological. It's shite. Add to the fact that all the things they usually do to reassure themselves - see their friends, family, go out for food, film, whatever, are no longer there, and you've got a recipe for an unhealthy mind. I'm going to guess too that life experiences will help some, of course, as will their status in life, their general feeling of security and how they live.

I'd wager someone in their late 40s/early 50s with a good amount of money in their bank, kids safely at home with them, say without parents around anymore unfortunately (so no real concerns about vulnerable relatives), would feel an awful lot better and more secure about their personal situation than someone in their late 20s/early 30s with parents with comorbidities who have to go to work still, no financial security and couped up in a tiny flat without a garden. That's just one example, and obviously I've used a couple of examples close to me to try and sum up how I feel.

Some people are just more emotionally sensitive too. Not by choice. Just how they are. 'Man up' isn't a viable option. It's basically saying 'rewire your brain'. Honestly, I bet they wish it was that easy. I do! I'm a *very* rational person, but I'm also an emotional one too. I can't help it, i've always been deeply empathetic. My brain fears the worst, and it isn't by choice. I'm a hopeful, optimistic person who has never even been close to having mental health problems, and my friends see me as strong and rational, but this has knocked me for six. It's the feeling of helplessness that I'm personally not used to. I can't *do* anything. I can't protect my family. I've never had that before, and it's weird... now I am handling it well largely, and in my day to day life (away from this forum where i can be an annoying **** ha) i'm good, but that's down to having a wonderful partner who supports me, like I support her. Some people don't have that either.

Emotional people can be annoying, but we're not all bad. Some of those emotional people will be the ones writing the films/music/books etc that we love, so they're worth putting up with ha. I do look at some of my mates who are acting as if everything is fine, and they genuinely can shrug it off, and I envy it! My brother isn't arsed. He's my biological brother and we couldn't be more different. I wish I could take that approach, as I'd have a lot less sleepless nights, but I can't. Trust me, I've tried. We can't help who we are, and it'd be boring if we were all the same. Long story short, while I agree that many are probably overreacting a bit, I'd wager lots aren't mate. It *is* an unprecedented, horrible time, and many people will be confused, lonely and messed up right now. Their way of living, their hopes and dreams, their family...all disappeared. It's shite.
I think you are describing "being worried".

Being worried is perfectly normal, although undesirable. But it is not mental illness.

I think you are describing "being worried".

Being worried is perfectly normal, although undesirable. But it is not mental illness.

It is not just 'being worried' though is it? Being worried is usually as simple as worrying about being a few minutes late for work and your boss being in a mood, or something trivial. This is 'the-whole-world-has-quite-literally-shut-down-due-to-people-dying-everywhere-cos-of-a-pandemic'. Of *course* this worry is different! It's not worry, it's fear! It's fear for their family, it's fear for their future, it's fear for their job. It's mass uncertainty. It's not just 'worrying'. They'll get over it, but you have to consider their personal circumstances.

Thanks. I’m not arsed about myself, I don’t want my 3yo to get it as he has a hole is an artery and I don’t know how that would play out. It can cause him breathing difficulties, especially in the heat so it’s tricky.
I would call 111 then and see if you can get a test and just be really careful in the meantime

Parents worry pal it’s natural, get some proper advice if it was me I’d shield him completely good luck m8 you and yours

Watched a prog last night about us and South Korea and how we went in total different directions,we moved out of contain way too early,they stayed in,developed a test in a week and tested, tracted and traced, with app,the fuck out of the country
You really have no idea how difficult it is get a centralised beuauracracy to change track.
The main mistakes were made in 2004 and 2015 by not adopting the lessons of SARS and MERS. Topped off with total arrogance as to the benefits of face coverings on public transport and in enclosed spaces for fighting ANY virus.
The NHS and PHE are devolved functions to Wales and Scotland. Are they in a better position? No they aren't. Slightly worse actually on % of care homes with infections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.