Holiday advice

Can someone just help me re travel insurance please?
Not now for October to Canary Islands - if I can't go fair enough theirs more important things going on in the world, i'll donate the money to charity. Just my dad passed away 2 years ago and I always like to visit Tenerife as he loved it there.
So assuming travel ban gets lifted I could get basic insurance (assuming no FCO advise against travel) but nothing would cover CV19 during the holiday period?
Correct

I think Greece are planning on being open to tourism from mid-June. So the flights could well be going, unless they exclude tourists from the Uk until we have our cases down.

Had notification that our outbound flight has been cancelled (early July), but not the return leg yet....

We're flying in August to the canary islands and just had a text saying we can pay the balance 6 weeks before departure instead of 10.

Im going October
Hopefully by then airlines will be flying.
However their will be a lot of restrictions during the next few months.

It’s a tough call because people will still like to have their travel fix .
There’s no magic formula and everybody has to accept responsibility for their own decisions .

It’s a tough call because people will still like to have their travel fix .
There’s no magic formula and everybody has to accept responsibility for their own decisions .
exactly! What's right for one family won't be for another. Similarly one country may be fine and another a no go. Greece is looking the safest of the big tourist areas at present. Canaries too if they can be seen as independent by the authorities.

Im going October
Hopefully by then airlines will be flying.
However their will be a lot of restrictions during the next few months.

It’s a tough call for some of the Canary Islands as with the exception of Tenerife, numbers have been low. Lanzarote is almost free of it with only 3 active cases and no new cases for 12 days. They have had only 85 cases in total and 6 deaths.

Opening up the country again is a huge risk for them if people have not been tested before they fly. They need to balance that with the economic decisions. Lanzarote is popular with Irish, German and Scandinavian tourists but by far the biggest percentage of visitors are from the UK.

They are not open fully for their own residents yet and being a year round destination they may have a wait and see policy. Oct-March is their main season.

It’s a tough call for some of the Canary Islands as with the exception of Tenerife, numbers have been low. Lanzarote is almost free of it with only 3 active cases and no new cases for 12 days. They have had only 85 cases in total and 6 deaths.

Opening up the country again is a huge risk for them if people have not been tested before they fly. They need to balance that with the economic decisions. Lanzarote is popular with Irish, German and Scandinavian tourists but by far the biggest percentage of visitors are from the UK.

They are not open fully for their own residents yet and being a year round destination they may have a wait and see policy. Oct-March is their main season.

Yes good points
I want to go obviously but will have to see nearer the time what the situation is.
They will need the tourism boost but I need to be careful about potentially getting stuck over there should a 2nd outbreak occur.
However their isn't much transmission as you state in the canaries.

Should be flying out to Corfu in just over 5 weeks with Jet2.
Tried for the past week or so to get answers from them but it seems they're not making any decisions.
They officially start flying out again on 17 June but this can't be happening

I think Greece are planning on being open to tourism from mid-June. So the flights could well be going, unless they exclude tourists from the Uk until we have our cases down.

We had a holiday booked for Lesvos with Jet 2 flying out mid July
Our balance payment date was due ten weeks before departure (three weeks ago)
We looked at their website and we could postpone this for two weeks and we did
As the situation was no clearer regards, would we be allowed to travel (will Greece be open for tourists) and the fact that we didn't fancy spending four and a half hours in close proximity to people on a plane and then again during the transfer to resort, potentially catching the virus and then being poorly on holiday, we didn't want to go through with paying the balance and then the procedure of being refunded
I sent JET 2 a mail via their contact form on their website asking if they would refund the £120 deposit via a credit note/vouchers. I didn't receive a reply, but wifey via her e mail (as this was the contact email used for the booking) received a mail a few days later offering to extend the date for the balance to be paid by a further two weeks (which is a week on Saturday) which we did
We've made a decision not to travel no matter what and today was D Day. If we hadn't had anything though from JET2 telling us the holiday was cancelled we would cancel and forfeit the deposit

The bad news was, I looked at their website to see how to cancel and it cannot be done on line. You have to phone
There also are penalty clauses for cancellation and as we are between 49 and 56 days this would be 50% of the total cost
I picked up the phone ready for a row as by offering the extended payment to us it meant we didn't cancel and if we had done two weeks ago it would have cost us 30%, not 50

It took nearly an hour of being on hold before a young lady took my call
I explained that today's Government travel information for Greece is that for overseas travelers there is a 14 day self isolation and travel to the islands is restricted so I asked her what my options were
She told me I could change my holiday dates to later in the year or next year subject to availability plus any addition costs would have to be met by us, or I could cancel and lose my deposit
I asked her to confirm that it was only the deposit I would lose for cancelling and she said, because we hadn't paid the balance only the deposit would be lost. So I cancelled

I don't know where you're up to with settling the balance @Silvercloud but I imagine you have paid up
It seems Greece is now looking to reopen to travelers from 1st July, which is out of your departure date, and Greece is looking for a reciprocal agreement with the UK regarding no self isolating
it's almost certain you won't be traveling before 1st July and if you do what sort of atmosphere will there be and will places be open!

You have to ring JET2 (0333 300 0737) and ask what your options are, but I think you have three

1/ Change the date of your holiday
2/ Lose a vast amount of money by cancelling
3/ Wait for JET 2 to cancel and then hopefully you'll receive a refund

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.