Bernstein/Keegan Split

It's amazing when reflecting on Fowler's agonising penalty miss v Boro (I'd forgotten that City wore the usual away kit) and how history might have been reshaped completely if he'd scored.

As the player who had guaranteed City's first genuine European qualification via league position, since the late 70s, Fowler's legacy might have been far more positive, than as the overweight drifter who destroyed the Bernstein-Keegan relationship.
Secondly, when the takeover arrived, the media perception was that City had come from nowhere, rather than as a team that had come so close to European qualification, just a few seasons previously.

Thirdly, after Fowler had literally kick-started their next European campaign, the teesiders ultimately progressed to the Final, and a certain Wally with the Brolly was appointed England Manager.
Daft as it might sound, if Fowler had scored, the next England Manager might have bee Pearce.

Last edited:
It's amazing when reflecting on Fowler's agonising penalty miss v Boro (I'd forgotten that City wore the usual away kit) and how history might have been reshaped completely if he'd scored.

As the player who had guaranteed City's first genuine European qualification via league position, since the late 70s, Fowler's legacy might have been far more positive, than as the overweight drifter who destroyed the Bernstein-Keegan relationship.
Secondly, when the takeover arrived, the media perception was that City had come from nowhere, rather than as a team that had come so close to European qualification, just a few seasons previously.

Thirdly, after Fowler had literally kick-started their next European campaign, the teesiders ultimately progressed to the Final, and a certain Wally with the Brolly was appointed England Manager.
Daft as it might sound, if Fowler had scored, the next England Manager might have bee Pearce.
Yeh possibly so.....

Don't think I could have contained myself if we'd had Anelka back in the same team as SWP in 2008.

Was there any significant backstory to the McManaman signing? Or was he brought in because Keegan genuinely thought he could improve the team?

Apart from his debut when he was superb, I literally cannot remember one other positive contribution he made.

We might have actually struggled to stay in the league with European football on our plate.

Don't think I could have contained myself if we'd had Anelka back in the same team as SWP in 2008.

Was there any significant backstory to the McManaman signing? Or was he brought in because Keegan genuinely thought he could improve the team?

Apart from his debut when he was superb, I literally cannot remember one other positive contribution he made.

Oh give over mate, we have never replaced him.
we've never had anybody who could point like him, world class pointer in my book. :)

I saw Vuoso play once and only once in a Manchester Senior Cup game at Oldham....worst player on the pitch & 90% of our team were youth players.

I was at that match, and iirc I only really went to see what this Vuoso fella was all about, got there just as it kicked off, and as there were so many unfamiliar players, I couldn't workout which one he was, literally a few seconds later, one of ours got farted on, fell over and got up moaning like a biatch, ah I thought, that's the fella, from what I remember his most significant contribution to the game, awful.

David Bernstein, I loved him, at a time when we were in a pretty dodgy position financially, I fell the club couldn't have been in better hands, then the Fowler debacle, never really mentioned this before (like Dave Whelans broken leg) but I knew a lad who worked at the hospital and medical facility in Leeds where Fowler was being seen to, apparently, Fowler's injuries stemmed from a hip problem rather than just his knee, so Leeds and Fowler knew and both fucked us over.

Now I loved KK too, but personally, given the choice, I'd have let him walk, I'm not a fan of people getting FA jobs when they've been instrumental in one particular clubs dealings, but Bernstein I would trust implicitly, his integrity is beyond reproach, we lost a very good man there.

Hardly a handful of good performances between the below:

Sommeil - £3.5m.
Fowler - £6m.
Seaman - Free.
Tarnat - Free.
Sinclair - £2.5m.
Sibierski - £700k.
Reyna - £2.5m.
McManaman - Free.

Maine Road Keegan signings did the business in the main, Eastlands signings were largely shite!

Tarnat was a superb left back, obviously on the wane by the time he got to us, but you could see he oozed class.

His free kicks were something to behold too.

I was at that match, and iirc I only really went to see what this Vuoso fella was all about, got there just as it kicked off, and as there were so many unfamiliar players, I couldn't workout which one he was, literally a few seconds later, one of ours got farted on, fell over and got up moaning like a biatch, ah I thought, that's the fella, from what I remember his most significant contribution to the game, awful.

David Bernstein, I loved him, at a time when we were in a pretty dodgy position financially, I fell the club couldn't have been in better hands, then the Fowler debacle, never really mentioned this before (like Dave Whelans broken leg) but I knew a lad who worked at the hospital and medical facility in Leeds where Fowler was being seen to, apparently, Fowler's injuries stemmed from a hip problem rather than just his knee, so Leeds and Fowler knew and both fucked us over.

Now I loved KK too, but personally, given the choice, I'd have let him walk, I'm not a fan of people getting FA jobs when they've been instrumental in one particular clubs dealings, but Bernstein I would trust implicitly, his integrity is beyond reproach, we lost a very good man there.

Vuso:
Saw him play in a pre season friendly in Bury. He played the second half and did nothing.

Fowler:
It was a classic 'big name' signing. Shirt sales, ticket sales, pie sales. All up on the back of people wanting to see what he could do. He wasn't that bad in all fairness but he was never worth the money and his legs didn't work.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.