COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Govt quick to explain entry quarantine not beneficial/worth it when we were experiencing peak, as visitors lower than usual and any infectious entrants not going to significantly uplift overall numbers.

They are adamant its critically important now, as our numbers now significantly reduced from peak, so any new infectious people arriving could uplift our reduced numbers by significant percentage. However, they also stress that UK entrant numbers are currently 99% less of precovid19..

However, the bigger question is, if its critically important when our infection numbers are low, as in now. Why wasnt it implemented when Boris was still shaking hands with everyone in the hospital, when our numbers were negligible, particularly as number of UK entrants at that point was still close to normal...eg huge in comparison to now
Because we decided to go a different way to every one else and go herd immunity,we should have done what the WHO and Italy were shouting at us to do

I did run around my town centre.
Newsagents, Wilkinsons, pound shops, supermarkets, DIY stores, garden centres, Matalan was open, bedding shop I saw open. McDonald’s up the road for takeaways, Load of cafes open for takeaways etc.

Same where I am. Chip shops reopening too so grabbed fish & chips myself.

Now time for us to follow the leader of the free world and open the fucking churches.

Well, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that The countries that have a degree of control over this closed their borders (or at least had strict controls in place) relatively early, unlike the UK.
Early is a different debate, the post was about quarantining once the virus was established in the community and the numbers coming in were relatively small.Once it was established better waiting as long as possible, because as I say it can only be kept in place for a fairly short time.

Makes sense to me, when it was peaking not many were coming in and any carrying would make little difference to the speed of spread.Now it’s reducing and restrictions lifted more want to travel and could kick it off again. My only issue is I doubt they can keep quarantine in place for too long, by August September thing pressure of people wanting to travel, for business or leisure along with the travel industry will force a rethink on it. Not to mention policing it.
Pretty much spot on

Government totally lost the plot now.
Quarantine should have been in place weeks ago not when the virus is essing.
Now their going to wreck the economy anymore with the tourism industry being held back even further.

Can someone explain how quarantine for inbound travellers is now worthwhile because the peak of transmission is past and it wasn't worthwhile when infection was at its peak? More to the point, why didn't they impose quarantine when they reckoned there was no community transmission - i.e. as stated in the guidance for not locking down care homes?

Makes sense to me, when it was peaking not many were coming in and any carrying would make little difference to the speed of spread.Now it’s reducing and restrictions lifted more want to travel and could kick it off again. My only issue is I doubt they can keep quarantine in place for too long, by August September thing pressure of people wanting to travel, for business or leisure along with the travel industry will force a rethink on it. Not to mention policing it.

Govt quick to explain entry quarantine not beneficial/worth it when we were experiencing peak, as visitors lower than usual and any infectious entrants not going to significantly uplift overall numbers.

They are adamant its critically important now, as our numbers now significantly reduced from peak, so any new infectious people arriving could uplift our reduced numbers by significant percentage. However, they also stress that UK entrant numbers are currently 99% less of precovid19..

However, the bigger question is, if its critically important when our infection numbers are low, as in now. Why wasnt it implemented when Boris was still shaking hands with everyone in the hospital, when our numbers were negligible, particularly as number of UK entrants at that point was still close to normal...eg huge in comparison to now

The only way this measure would have had an effect would have to enforced a week before (or during) the February half term. That is the event that generated the critical mass of cases that sparked the UK epidemic with 1000s returning from breaks in Italy/Austria/Switzerland and Spain.
Why now? Well we need the quarantine measures in force for the end of October when the second spike will happen and they need to proven for a month or so before any thought of reducing them is temporarily undertaken ready for the 2nd wave.

Last edited:
Government totally lost the plot now.
Quarantine should have been in place weeks ago not when the virus is essing.
Now their going to wreck the economy anymore with the tourism industry being held back even further.
No. You are wrong. Exactly the time to do it now. When the R was above above 1 would have made no difference to use resources to quarantine flights, especially as there were hardly any. Flights now ramping up is the biggest threat to UK. Good job you're not in charge of scientific advice to Govt. UK tourism will gradually be eased in keeping an eye on the R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.