TV Series

First episode of The Wire. I take it that it gets a bit better ?

In lockdown I finally got around to watching The Wire.

I can see why it’s so highly praised as time passes. It’s getting quite dated now though.

You usually watch TV to be easily entertained most of the time. I’m not saying The Wire is not entertaining but it’s not very giving in that respect. It’s not got many big ‘oh my god moments’ like some people pleasing shows have. It doesn’t have end of episode exciting cliffhangers and characters you’ll route for. (Except maybe Omar).

It does though have a great set of actors who make the show feel very real and the way each season shows a different aspect to Baltimore life and how it all ties in together is simply brilliant writing.

It all depends what you’re looking for when you start the show....

I can see why it’s so highly praised as time passes. It’s getting quite dated now though.

You usually watch TV to be easily entertained most of the time. I’m not saying The Wire is not entertaining but it’s not very giving in that respect. It’s not got many big ‘oh my god moments’ like some people pleasing shows have. It doesn’t have end of episode exciting cliffhangers and characters you’ll route for. (Except maybe Omar).

It does though have a great set of actors who make the show feel very real and the way each season shows a different aspect to Baltimore life and how it all ties in together is simply brilliant writing.

Ended up loving Omar.

Need some inspiration from you guys for a series to watch with the missus. I’ve got loads to watch for me on my own but require something to fill an hour a night to watch with her. Generally speaking, we seem to enjoy most the crime drama style and feel like exhausted everything that’s been on recently. Went for a watch of The Wire last week but she couldn’t deal with it being so old so I guess it needs to be relatively recent.

Any ideas?

Dead to me. Short episodes, a combination of slightly dark comedy, drama with a little suspense. A little bit of everything, doesnt excel in anything as such, but easy enough to watch and reasonably enjoyable. Better tv out there, of course, but it is quite accessible.

For something a little deeper, After Life is good, so far anyway.

edit: homecoming on prime is also very good. a bit more serious and intense, but well written well acted drama. only one season as well so it isnt a huge commitment.

The Rookie
The good fight
Chicago Pd
Billions
Absentia
Blue bloods
Burden of truth
Condor
Fbi
Harrow
Home before dark
Mr Mercedes
Pennyworth
Prodigal Son
Temple
Truth be told

Not seen a single one of those. I consider myself someone who watches a fair bit, so shows how much TV there really is out there!

I agree with all that, however 'dated' does have sides to it. Sure, the storytelling, character depth play, suspense etc has all come a long long way since the wire, and we are quite spoilt today, so by comparison, it is dated in that sense. Eventhough it was really the ground breaking thing at the time that kinda started that direction (along with the shield, which people forget pre-dates it ever so slightly). I can see the dated arguement for the wire. It does also have more repetative formulaic development than people care to admit. Still though, the slow build/reveal later/seemingly random loose ends come together in an apparently pre planned type of series really did take so much from there.

What i feel isn't dated, is the easy relatability of it. It is a obviously a seemingly niche topic, cops/drug gangs in a particulat area of baltimore. Yet, sooo many can relate to the themes in it, heirarchy, work place upmanship, the political tugs, creative resourcing, relationships etc etc. For me, that is the real success of the wire, what makes it great, and the part that will never feel dated as it is simply, timeless.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.