General Videogame Thread

Saw Fallout 4 on sale for £9 and got it. What a game, best £9 i've spent in a long time.

I loved that game as well. It didn’t get a great reception from the gaming community for whatever reasons (okay the performance of the game can be poor) but for me Fallout with decent gun controls was always going to be a winner.

Flight Sim does look pretty demanding spec wise. Even with my 2070 super I’m just under the ‘ideal spec’.
There's two ways to Flight Sim 2020. It's a bit complicated but I'll try to explain in the easiest way possible.

The first way(and the way MS want you to play it) is what they are calling "Live" so the whole world is being streamed to your computer ( that's why you need a powerful pc and fast internet) cities, airports (44,000 of them) streamed all in real time using 3d modelling via bing maps. Even down to which runway is being used for takeoffs/landings. The biggest thing about that is the weather will 100% real. If it's raining in Manchester and your going to land or take off then it'll be raining in the game, not only that but wind, atmospheric pressure and cloud formations will be accurate.

Now most people probably won't have a pc which can cope with all of that and you definitely won't be able to do that on consoles so the way they have got round that is you can download areas of the world you want to fly.

So if you just want to fly around Europe say you can just download a map of Europe. It'll still be accurate via bing maps but things like forests and some cities will be proceedly generated (although major landmarks will be in cities and the airports will be accurate) you have the option for live weather but clouds, pressure ect will he generated. This gives players to tweak their game how they like it and also it'll play on consoles.

Another thing there looking at is to download all the airport data for major airports (around 200 to start with) for arrivals and departures while your playing so say your arriving at JFK airport and the flight Patten is full in real time you'll have to stack before you can land

I don't think they ever let go of Las Vegas. Was a great game IMO.
That's easy to explain; New Vegas was Fallout. Made by some of the original creators.

Fallout 4, whilst entertaining, just wasn't a Fallout game many of us were hoping for.

That's easy to explain; New Vegas was Fallout. Made by some of the original creators.

Fallout 4, whilst entertaining, just wasn't a Fallout game many of us were hoping for.
New Vegas was daft, right at the start they place you in a valley that you can only go through in the middle, but they dont want you heading straight to Vegas so they cut the valley off by placing a load of super fast, super strong claw thingys that are unbeatable at the start, forcing you to head south and around the edge of the map. Thats poor game design. By the time I got to Vegas I couldnt give a shit about the place. And it was tiny.

New Vegas was daft, right at the start they place you in a valley that you can only go through in the middle, but they dont want you heading straight to Vegas so they cut the valley off by placing a load of super fast, super strong claw thingys that are unbeatable at the start, forcing you to head south and around the edge of the map. Thats poor game design. By the time I got to Vegas I couldnt give a shit about the place. And it was tiny.
They had a shoestring budget and made it in 10 months. New Vegas was supposed to be huge but the limitations of the consoles weren't capable so they had to scale it down. On PC it wouldn't have been too much of an issue but Bethesda wanted a multi-platform release.

Also, the whole point of a Fallout experience isn't that you can just go straight to the goal, you're meant to interact with the numerous surviving, post nuclear communities, learn about the issues and then be faced with moral choices. It's an RPG, not a GTA clone. The whole purpose of the game is to play a roll in a post-nuclear setting and see how humanity has developed.

You can go straight to New Vegas, you'll just be met with Giant Radscorpions, Cazadors and Deathclaws. But there's nothing physically stopping you. A character with a high sneak skill can get there without too much difficulty. The allure of Fallout is that it lets you play how you want. FO4 did not offer that flexibility. I HAD to care about a missing child, which lets be honest, most people forgot all about after the first 3 hours collecting tin cans, wood and wonderglue.

If you want a simple open sandbox, go here, bang bang shoot shoot, more power to you. But to those of us long term fans of the series, FO4 was a bit of a let down. It was fun, but it didn't provide a genuine Fallout experience, unlike New Vegas, which delivered in spades and was more like the originals.

Last edited:
There's two ways to Flight Sim 2020. It's a bit complicated but I'll try to explain in the easiest way possible.

The first way(and the way MS want you to play it) is what they are calling "Live" so the whole world is being streamed to your computer ( that's why you need a powerful pc and fast internet) cities, airports (44,000 of them) streamed all in real time using 3d modelling via bing maps. Even down to which runway is being used for takeoffs/landings. The biggest thing about that is the weather will 100% real. If it's raining in Manchester and your going to land or take off then it'll be raining in the game, not only that but wind, atmospheric pressure and cloud formations will be accurate.

if anyone's interested you can do similar for weather using fsxwx for fs10. it's a free download and easy to use.

They had a shoestring budget and made it in 10 months. New Vegas was supposed to be huge but the limitations of the consoles weren't capable so they had to scale it down. On PC it wouldn't have been too much of an issue but Bethesda wanted a multi-platform release.

Also, the whole point of a Fallout experience isn't that you can just go straight to the goal, you're meant to interact with the numerous surviving, post nuclear communities, learn about the issues and then be faced with moral choices. It's an RPG, not a GTA clone. The whole purpose of the game is to play a roll in a post-nuclear setting and see how humanity has developed.

You can go straight to New Vegas, you'll just be met with Giant Radscorpions, Cazadors and Deathclaws. But there's nothing physically stopping you. A character with a high sneak skill can get there without too much difficulty. The allure of Fallout is that it lets you play how you want. FO4 did not offer that flexibility. I HAD to care about a missing child, which lets be honest, most people forgot all about after the first 3 hours collecting tin cans, wood and wonderglue.

If you want a simple open sandbox, go here, bang bang shoot shoot, more power to you. But to those of us long term fans of the series, FO4 was a bit of a let down. It was fun, but it didn't provide a genuine Fallout experience, unlike New Vegas, which delivered in spades and was more like the originals.
True, I had no intention of going straight there but I did try out of curiosity, not to mention that your main objective is to see Benny in Vegas as a matter of emergency, but to have you start the game a stones throw away from Vegas but force you all the way round was silly. I had 'Go see Benny in Vegas' at the top of my to do list for weeks. Even now after more than 10 years, I still remember 'Go see Benny in Vegas'.
Because Vegas was bang in the middle of the map, you could see it from almost anywhere for weeks before you could get to it, just circling around. It would have been better to place Vegas in the south and start north and gradually zig zag your way to it. Thats what they did with FO 3 and 4 and they were brilliant.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.