Learning Spanish

i´ve lived here 2 years, and i think i´m just about there. i also know alot of british who live here, some of them for up to 20 years, and the absolute majority of them still can´t speak ´fluent´ spanish. 6 months is just not enough. it´s also the pronounciation, the speed at which you talk, getting the sentence structures all perfect and knowing all the slang and the way natives actually talk in ´real´ life. understanding the regional accents is interesting, too!

i did A-level too, but when i moved here, i realised i actually knew next to nothing. yes we learnt alot at length about immigration and how to talk about the spanish government, etc etc.. but realistically you don´t learn half of what you need to know in the ´real world´.

i´ve downloaded the spanish and arabic versions of Rosetta Stone.. my partner is arabic and we both speak spanish. we listened to both of them, and it´s very very simple, and i think too formal to reflect how you would talk to people in the street, etc. it´s good for basic knowlege, but if you want to become fluent, i wouldn´t say it´s the way to go.

get some spanish dvds, read spanish books and newspapers online.. but really, i think the only way to become absolutely fluent, is to live in the country and to be talking the language the whole time with spanish people. there´s also some good spanish-english chat rooms online, for spanish wanting to learn english and vice versa.

manchesterchica said:
i´ve lived here 2 years, and i think i´m just about there. i also know alot of british who live here, some of them for up to 20 years, and the absolute majority of them still can´t speak ´fluent´ spanish. 6 months is just not enough. it´s also the pronounciation, the speed at which you talk, getting the sentence structures all perfect and knowing all the slang and the way natives actually talk in ´real´ life. understanding the regional accents is interesting, too!

i did A-level too, but when i moved here, i realised i actually knew next to nothing. yes we learnt alot at length about immigration and how to talk about the spanish government, etc etc.. but realistically you don´t learn half of what you need to know in the ´real world´.

i´ve downloaded the spanish and arabic versions of Rosetta Stone.. my partner is arabic and we both speak spanish. we listened to both of them, and it´s very very simple, and i think too formal to reflect how you would talk to people in the street, etc. it´s good for basic knowlege, but if you want to become fluent, i wouldn´t say it´s the way to go.

get some spanish dvds, read spanish books and newspapers online.. but really, i think the only way to become absolutely fluent, is to live in the country and to be talking the language the whole time with spanish people. there´s also some good spanish-english chat rooms online, for spanish wanting to learn english and vice versa.

Sound advice. Got any links to those chat rooms? And is there a Spanish sports newspaper?

[quote=" And is there a Spanish sports newspaper?[/quote]

There are 2 main papers, MARCA and AS, MARCA is much better, try their website MARCA.com.

DaveB said:
Can anybody help. I wish to learn Spanish without having to sit in college with teenagers as im 38 years old, are any bluemooners fluent in the language who would be willing to help me learn on a one-to-one basis. I know there are tutors about but i can`t afford £20 per hour, any help please PM, thanks Dave.

You could try downloading a free 'teach yourself spanish' software torrent pack mate

i´d agree with the others, Marca is the most popular and the best sports paper. if you´ve got access to TV online, there is a channel called Cuatro which has regular sports bulletins, which includes world football news, and tends to be pretty good for general non-football news, too. they also show the simpsons in spanish and american and english films but in spanish, which i found really useful for learning.

before i moved to spain i was using espanglishchat.com, because it had the most ´serious´ people on it who really wanted to learn. that was about 3 years ago though, so not sure what it´s like now!

I presume the OP is fluent by now? The world of language learning has moved on at pace since 2011 with podcasts, Youtubers making a living out of it, and a whole host of free resources on line. There's no excuse not to be able to find resources and all for free if you want to learn Spanish. It's just a question of desire or 'ganas' as our Spanish friends call it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.