1999 play off final - 21 years ago today!

Did you go mate? I was loved up at the time with a girl and watched it in a bar in Knutsford with her. I watched Robert Taylor bang the second one in and said to her 'let's go, I can't watch this shit". We went back to hers, shut ourselves off to the world and did what loved up couples in their mid twenties do..... This was before rolling news and smartphones so I went to sleep that night convinced Gillingham had been promoted. I got up next morning and took a walk to the petrol station nearby and saw that the Daily Mirror was all in blue, I thought 'that's wierd, it's usually red' as I got nearer all I saw was a picture of Nicky Weaver with a daft wig on and immediately it dawned on me what had happened. I literally started shouting out wild nonsensical 'whoos' and even said 'yes, yes fucking yes', anyone would have thought I had won the lottery.

It was a brilliant way to find out I suppose but I still regret not lasting the distance and watching it all happen live.
To be honest pal I think that’s shite. Through thick and fucking thin, or as was said at the time, through thin and thinner

Last edited:
Always remember the ‘Treble’ song being sung up and down Wembley High Road. Happy days!
Even happier when City did the treble last year and sang "it's happened again .." on Brighton sea front to the scousers!

I left early. We heard the cheers on Wembley way but couldn't get back in. We caught the pens in a pub in London.

I was there, stayed till the end. Still not sure what happened. Enduring memory was seeing my mates older brother crying. He was a bit nutts.

Went to skegness butlins on a family weekend , about twenty of us kids in tow . myself and brother in law had tickets and pleaded with our partners to go and promised we'd be back that night , no chance they were having none of it . Gave ticket to my brother who lived in Sussex at the time . watched it in the club were it got a bit fractious with some spuds fans and a few other southerners , it was a kids footy tournament weekend . Anyway we had the last laugh and a great night was had by all , butlins was full of blues that night.So I missed out on one of our greatest days , got divorced some years later should of told her to do one and gone to the match , hindsight such a wonderful thing

I watched this on TV by myself, as nobody i knew back then really supported City. But we didn't have Sky, so i'm assuming they used to show playoff games on domestic TV back then? Remember screaming the house down, by myself, was a bit shit thinking back :D

I had left at 2-0 yes hindsight is a wonderful thing, who knew what madness was about to unfold?. A copper halfway down Wembley Way said " do you know the score lads" we said " yeah 2-0 " he said " no 2-2" wtf we raced back up to the stadium and somehow managed to get back in for extra time, pens. We could've been a lot further away as we never heard the cheering when City scored either of their goals. My mate killed a bin on the concourse as we left, I definitely remember that, lol.

I was there, stayed till the end. Still not sure what happened. Enduring memory was seeing my mates older brother crying. He was a bit nutts.
Always stay to the end mate. Remember at 2 0 down being stood up and shouting get behind them. If you recall the seats at the old Wembley were really close together and I must have accidentally touched the old bloke in front of me who then said keep the noise down and tried to hit me with his fucking brolly the daft old cunnt! He tried to shake my hand after we equalised, I declined and offered to put his brolly somewhere personal. I will never forget that despite being very pissed - always support CITY to the very end

I don't understand how people left the ground at 2-0. I don't mean through any noble and valiant support your team till the end type reasons I just mean physically, how did they have the energy to get up and walk. I remember sitting there staring across at the celebrating Gillingham fans and I was just numb. I wasn't angry or sad, I was just spent!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.