Mancini or Pep era?

In the next thousand years of football nothing will ever come close to the 93:20 moment. That was under Mancini so if the question is which era do you prefer it has to be the Mancini era.

Unquestionably Pep is the better manager, played better football and set all the records. Mancini was better than Pep at only two things: 1) Scarf wearing 2) getting under the rags skin

Oooh difficult decision. I like both eras for different reasons. Bobby brought our first success in the modern era and made us a team to be reckoned with....Pep made us a team to be ‘feared and reviled’ and made us an unstoppable force domestically.

I would have to go with Pep. Back to back titles and cup wins is incredibly difficult to pull off and he’s not only done it but come very close to making it a quadruple with the chumps (but for poor officiating imo). I know, I know, we achieved a domestic quad....would have been sweeter with the European tin pot tho.

he’s brought the kind of success that not only demoralises the opposition....it causes the establishment to change the rules of the game to stop you......enough said

Last edited:
All down to timing really. Mancini started this incredible journey but Pep has turned us into one of the greatest teams to ever play the game.

Mancinis time came & went

I hope & want Pep to stay for 10 more years

For pure passion has to be Mancini

For unbelievable quality has to be Pep

Mancini was an able politician and wearing the scarf and talking about ripping the banner down was good PR to ingratiate himself with the fans, but i'm not sure I ever fully believed that really cared in a more profound way then any other manager. Someone truly committed to the club wouldn't have been negotiating with Zenit and Monaco and (allegedly) handing his resignation the day after we won the league. All of this was part of a political power struggle that the club didn't need and he couldn't win. There was always a sense of tension and angst under Mancini, that might not have been entirely down to him as ego wasn't in short supply in that dressing room, but he seemed to be the fulcrum. Ultimately a great manager doesn't end up alienating everyone from the Kit Man to the Chairman and, most significantly, Kompany, Toure, Silva and Aguero.

Pep doesn't give the impression of being one of us - and there's still a whiff that the great Catalans are deigning to sprinkle their genius over a club with no history - but he doesn't play political games and end up at war with everyone at the club either. Under Mancini there was no real sense of collectiveness but with Pep we have the best team spirit of any City side since the Royle promotion team of 99/00. He's put together a team that is greater than the sum of its parts - 198 points with Delph and Zinchenko at left back - and that, arguably, is the test of any manager.

As for the football we play, the 2012 side had its moments, but it's nothing consistently comparable with the brilliance of what we had over the last 3 seasons.

The journey to the top was much more enjoyable.

Much like the journey through to the champions league, I found the UEFA cup much more fun to partake in and when we made the champions league, it never felt the same.

Reactions: Ant
As many have said, Pep is the better manager when taken in isolation. No question.

But I would take the Mancini era every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Look at what he achieved and what he achieved it with. Would Pep overturn an 8pt defecit with 6 games left, against the best manager in the history of football and a team of near peak superstars? I Dont think so. I think he would have praised them to the hilt, talked about our lack of 'big club mentality' and we would have probably finished on 83-85 points.

I admire Pep and am glad he is our manager but I loved Mancini. He understood this club better than any of our modern era managers ever did. He did what many said was the impossible. He built a team, very quickly, that didn't just overcome the best team in England, but utterly destroyed it. And did so publicly. They still havent recovered from the humbling Mancini inflcited on them.

He turned a cool-to-support-becasue-they-were-a-soap-opera club into a powerhouse that actually won things and that left him hated by a very small section of our fanbase who were seemingly unable to forgive him for this.

Without Mancini's achievements and what they allowed the club to do going forward, Pep woldn't have come within miles of this club.

I hope he comes back one day.

Enjoyed both immensely for different reasons and wouldn't want to pick one or the other, they both had different jobs to do at different times and excelled at them. Hopefully there is still much more to come from Pep, he is the best manager in the world and has his friends in the boardroom we may not find ourselves in quite as fortunate a position ever again. I also think he gets the fans more than people think.

That said, when Pep has achieved all he wants in England and decides to move on would I have Mancini back? In a heartbeat

Enjoyed both immensely for different reasons and wouldn't want to pick one or the other, they both had different jobs to do at different times and excelled at them. Hopefully there is still much more to come from Pep, he is the best manager in the world and has his friends in the boardroom we may not find ourselves in quite as fortunate a position ever again. I also think he gets the fans more than people think.

That said, when Pep has achieved all he wants in England and decides to move on would I have Mancini back? In a heartbeat
So youd want instant decline. Mancini cant even be in the same sentence with Guardiola. He did well for us but he is nowhere near elite manager.

So youd want instant decline. Mancini cant even be in the same sentence with Guardiola. He did well for us but he is nowhere near elite manager.

Exactly, Tevez, Balotelli, player fallout, public criticism.
Pep a comsumate professional whose teams play the best football on the planet.
Individual choice I suppose,

With you all the way down to those last 3 words. I loved what Mancini achieved it was unforgettable. But he lost the players and staff on and off the pitch and we didn't have the stability to maintain our position, the owner's saw that and made the right decision at the time. I hope Pep stays to build a new team but when he does go I doubt someone as disruptive as Mancini or Mourinho or their style of management would appeal to our owners.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.