Glyn Pardoe RIP

Completely lost for words. I’ve just found out off my dad. Glyn was my god father and a close family friend. I’ve got many special memories of him and my thoughts are whole heartedly with his wife, daughters and family at this terrible and sad time. I and my mum and dad have lost a great friend and us as club and fans have lost a legend of our own.

R.I.P. Glyn, you may be gone but you will never ever be forgotten.

Within the last few minutes I received a phone call from our local newspaper "Winsford & Middlewich Guardian" who asked me for my thoughts on Glyn.I hadn`t got a scooby what the hell the reporter was on about.Imagine my shock when he told me.
Plenty of you will already know that one of my biggest reasons for supporting City was due to Glyn and his cousin,my namesake,Alan Oakes.
Glyn who lived with his parents,had their back garden and ours adjacent and my Dad knew Glyns Dad very well.I can always remember seeing Glyn in their back garden with a football.The first time I ever saw Glyn play was at Old Trafford when he played centre forward for England Under 15`s against Holland IIRC,as our school organised the trip.
My Dad arranged for Glyn to take me to a Citys home games and can you imagine what that was like for a 13 year old kid,travelling with Citys 18 year old centre forward ... it was surreal.He used to take his Mum,Gran and his girlfriend Pat (who he eventually married).Once at Maine Road we would wait in the Players Car park whilst awaiting for Alan and Mike Doyle to arrive and they would walk that short distance to the Players Entrance together.I was taken around the changing areas,met other players and Joe and Big Malc.
Later on I would organise away trips to games and hired a mini bus for 12 of us.We waited patiently at the Players Entrance for away games and Glyn and Alan would come out with Complimentary Tickets for us.
Glyn attended our Local Mid Cheshire Branch Meetings on more than one occasion and he was so proud of his Grandson Tommy,wearing that sky blue shirt.
Glyn many thanks from myself for all your help over the years and thanks for scoring that winner in the 1969/70 League Cup Final (WBA) and making Winsford a very proud town.
RIP mate and my sincere condolences to Pat and their children.
Brilliant oakie and a wonderful tribute.

Very very sad news. Rest in peace - City legend. Condolences to all his friends and family. God bless.

A touching tribute to your friend. Many here have made it clear that Glyn was a fine man as well as a great player. My wife and I often raise a glass in the evening to toast a family member or a stranger who has done some service. Mrs KS has no idea who Glyn Pardoe was, but he will be the toast in our house tonight. Join me in spirit and raise a glass to Glyn.
RIP
Thanks KS55.He really was a top bloke in every sense.Raise a toast mate.Thanks.

Completely lost for words. I’ve just found out off my dad. Glyn was my god father and a close family friend. I’ve got many special memories of him and my thoughts are whole heartedly with his wife, daughters and family at this terrible and sad time. I and my mum and dad have lost a great friend and us as club and fans have lost a legend of our own.

R.I.P. Glyn, you may be gone but you will never ever be forgotten.
Wow great post and I shall join you in raising a glass later tonight for Glyn.

I hope at some point when the time is right you can share this whole thread with Glyn's family and they can see how much he was loved by us all.

For me, I am very proud to have written the book Teenage Kicks about the 86 Youth Cup team and it was with disappointment that I could not attend my own book launch due to by then living in the States and visa restrictions at the time meant I could not leave (well I could leave but could not return!) So I missed the launch that 9 players, Tony & Glyn attended. I so desperately wanted to go, so never got to thank him in person. I do have a signed poster of the team by all the players plus Tony and Glyn (glances over at it) which takes pride of place on my living room wall.

Last edited:
Really sad news. I was lucky enough to meet Glyn at a supporters event 3yrs ago. We spent almost an hour talking about our families and barely touched on football.God bless You and your family.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.