Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

I think we have to be careful with that stat. Firstly, influenza, unlike Covid, is not a notifiable illness so it would not be necessary to put "influenza" on a death certificate. Consequently, like for like, there are no reliable figures for deaths of people with flu.

Secondly, assuming that the figure is correct, that is, as you say, just under 50 deaths a day. But, of course, that figure ignores the spike from the "flu season" and spreads it over an entire year. Covid hasn't been measured over a whole year yet to work out the average.

That's not to say you are wrong, just that we need figures over comparable periods before we can start talking about averages.

Your correct it is an average of 50 per day as i stated , the winter period for influenza claims far more lives and the majority are over 65 years old , COVID i believe has a similar age group , we havent seen COVID in winter , we have to wait and see if this horrible virus claims more lives with colder temperatures.
My post was to highlight the stupidity of someone assuming COVID will rapidly reduce or disappear with no evidence to back this up.

The reason we are in lock-down isn't because it this kills everyone it touches, the reason we are in lock-down is that there is a percentage of people it will kill and also a percentage it will severely deteriorate. I am fairly certain i have had it, my mum tested positive while in hospital for it and she lives with us, but we had 4 negative results in the household. We displayed mild symptoms, feeling cold and a bit rundown where you just don't want to do anything, but nothing major. I do however know at least 3 people who have had it and are generally fit, one of them is a regular in the gym, and they have been absolutely wrecked from it and been unable to function for 7 days, some even more. The fear was that these cases would clog up the healthcare system and mean that there would not be enough beds and staff to look after the very vulnerable.
It's worrying that a lot of people think that this has been done to put fear into people, to stop the economy or whatever, it's bollocks. It's been done to try and keep this under control and the reason for the so-called fear is that if they just told people to stay indoors to protect others and not themselves, no fucker would stay indoors because most people are selfish.

Re football, i just don't see how it can comeback to a safe enough standard. It's not comparable to anything else, save maybe something along the lines of sports massages, as there is no way to stop physical contact. The testing is mostly shit, the number of false negatives (as probably proven in what i have written above) is so high and AFAIK they're not doing it daily either? It just seems completely mental to me.

Good post. It seems to kill around 1%, which sounds small until you work out 1% of the population, but it is also a nasty, nasty virus that can knock you out for weeks or months for many, many more besides. Even for footballers who are fit and healthy and likely survive, it's fair to say that's it's the sort of thing that could absolutely knock your career off track.

Educate yourself jimmysboots. We have been fed the scare story to make sure we all comply with lockdown which was put in place based on a guy (Neil Ferguson) who's models of potential epidemics have been wrong time and time again.

https://thecritic.co.uk/were-all-in-the-big-numbers-now/

"we have been fed the scare story" i stopped reading there , your looney tunes mate , but at least your a blue looney tunes , mad as box of frogs , i blame MCFC they have sent a few dollally , luckily they have only driven me to drink :)

Good post. It seems to kill around 1%, which sounds small until you work out 1% of the population, but it is also a nasty, nasty virus that can knock you out for weeks or months for many, many more besides. Even for footballers who are fit and healthy and likely survive, it's fair to say that's it's the sort of thing that could absolutely knock your career off track.

You can't talk about mortality without referencing age. From the ONS.

ECOHtxJ.png

You can't talk about mortality without referencing age. From the ONS.

ECOHtxJ.png

Problem with this is it's looking only at one aspect (mortality). What about all the cases where people are very sick but don't die, or worse those who are carriers and then infect others?

Problem with this is it's looking only at one aspect (mortality). What about all the cases where people are very sick but don't die, or worse those who are carriers and then infect others?
What about the families they return home too ?

What about a positive test after a match (assuming we ever have one), both teams can't play for 14 days, if games are only 3 or 4 days apart, the previous team surely has to isolate as well.

Why not test it first by restarting the FA Cup in a short schedule to get it completed, oh wait......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.