George Floyd murder | Clashes between US police and protestors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love so many aspects about living in the states, but the gun culture is sad and depressing, to see the continuing systematic abuse and killing of these young black males is even more so. The fact that I dont think it can or will ever change is the shitty icing on the shitty cake.

I'm going to raise my kids right, with good morals and good values. Honestly, I feel thats all I can do. Well that, and hope that myself or my family are never in the wrong place at the wrong time FFS.

I used to dream about moving to the US when I was in college. I had gone through the entire process of sending out applications to 3 universities. I ended up choosing an English university and I remember being really gutted, almost upset with myself, about sacrificing my dream for the convenience of not being too far away from my family and friends.

As a fully grown man now, I have literally no interest in living in your country and I'm glad I made the choice I made in the end. I'm not saying the US has no redeeming qualities. It's certainly a wonderful country in so many aspects, and I love holidaying there, but just being a 6'3 black man, that fact alone, makes it an intimidating idea - then there are other aspects of normal American society that I, as a European, just fundamentally disagree with - such as healthcare, gun culture etc.

I used to dream about moving to the US when I was in college. I had gone through the entire process of sending out applications to 3 universities. I ended up choosing an English university and I remember being really gutted, almost upset with myself, about sacrificing my dream for the convenience of not being too far away from my family and friends.

As a fully grown man now, I have literally no interest in living in your country and I'm glad I made the choice I made in the end. I'm not saying the US has no redeeming qualities. It's certainly a wonderful country in so many aspects, and I love holidaying there, but just being a 6'3 black man, that fact alone, makes it an intimidating idea - then there are other aspects of normal American society that I, as a European, just fundamentally disagree with - such as healthcare, gun culture etc.

Just to underline the complexity of gun law and police, there's this story of Breonna Taylor's death...

Let me add, Kenneth Walker was a legal gun owner, who fired a shot when cops entered without announcing. He, in his state, is under 'stand your ground' and self defence.

Now charged with attempted murder!

How...?

Last edited:

Read a book years ago by Kate Kray called hard bastards, anyway one of the men in it was some hench black guy and he said he went on holiday to America once.

Ended up in the south somewhere on a boat trip, when he looked around he realised it was full of red neck nazi types, then one asked if he was Mr T so he said yeah and just went along with it doing impressions and taking pictures thought he was going to get lynched by em!

I need to find the book again as the way the story was told was pretty funny.

I ain't naive enough to think the UK doesn't have it's problems with racism but America really is rotten from the top down when it comes to equality.

Just for the record I'm from Bury ;) but disagree with nothing else you said in your 2nd paragraph pal.

Straight up murder. In broad daylight. And all on camera.

It’s a cut and dry case. Murder charges brought for the pig in question and a life sentence issued.

A part of me tells me that may not happen, and that is the the top and bottom of the problem with the justice system for black Americans.

Because it’s ‘okay’.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with that land?

Just to underline the complexity of gun law and police, there's this story of Breonna Taylor's death...

Let me add, Kenneth Walker was a legal gun owner, who fired a shot when cops entered without announcing. He, in his state, is under 'stand your ground' and self defence.

Now charged with attempted murder!

How...?

Yeah that Kenneth Walker story is just mind-blowing.

The best possible argument for legitimate gun ownership is exactly that nightmare scenario he went through and what he had to do to save his family. I find it curious, then, that the NRA and other gun activists, who usually don't require a second invitation to propagandise a situation after a school-shooting, have been deafeningly silent here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.