Running thread

Thats some going that, but i toally understand. I did 10k on Monday and enjoyed it, just done another 8k now and again wasnt out of breath at all during the run. Not sure what the long term benefit to my running will be but it sure is more enjoyable.

I feel my low moods are helped immensely by running on a fairly regular basis. Same with strength training but I’m doing far less now the gyms have closed. Think the evidence is pretty much nailed on as to the benefits of exercise but I absolutely feel them.

I use to run for Uni and a club in my late teens and early 20s obtaining decent PBs at 10km. I then preferred to play football and booze so eventually stopped. Had a bit of a resurgence in my late 20s with fell running but started to have issues with straining my calf.

Since have solely stuck to low impact training on the watt bike, x trainer and rowing machine. Now gyms have shut, lockdown has opened a window of opportunity to get back in to my running. Been running 20-25 miles a week which has been good. I'm pretty certain I have "runners knee" as my knee has been aching after runs. Have been wearing ice packs on my knee at home which has helped recovery and relieved some pain.

I was never a runner and took me about about three attempts over 2 years to finally get into it. Love it now and it’s brought great benefits and new friends. Can’t wait for the park runs to reopen but I’d hazard a guess they will be one of the last things to open.
Keep at it!

So many give up on running because they push there selves so much at the start - start off slowly - after a couple miles you muscles are well warmed up and you’re breathing is fine and you can increase your speed. No need to push yourself at start of run - unless you’re going for a really fast parkrun/5k etc time.
No need to push yourself at any other part of the run either!

Thats some going that, but i toally understand. I did 10k on Monday and enjoyed it, just done another 8k now and again wasnt out of breath at all during the run. Not sure what the long term benefit to my running will be but it sure is more enjoyable.
You will be able to run faster for longer and will recover more quickly with greatly reduced risk of injury and burnout.

You will be able to run faster for longer and will recover more quickly with greatly reduced risk of injury and burnout.
I need to perfect it as my heart rate initially jumps up to about 160 when I start running and within a few minutes drops down to about 130. From
What I’ve read I need to keep it below 136 so going to try a very slow jog to start and then monitor it from there.

I need to perfect it as my heart rate initially jumps up to about 160 when I start running and within a few minutes drops down to about 130. From
What I’ve read I need to keep it below 136 so going to try a very slow jog to start and then monitor it from there.
Where did you get the specific figure of 136bmp from mate?

I was reading an article that said 180 minus your age as a rough guide.
Sorry but that is plain wrong. This is a massively outdated formula which has been comprehensively debunked. When you look at actual heart rate zones, the figures are nowhere near what you get from that formula in the vast majority of people.

I'm not blaming you for using it - you're just using what you've read online but, unfortunately, there's a lot of bad/pseudoscientific/outdated advice out there.

It can actually be dangerous to use this formula because people end up spending inappropriate amounts of time in the wrong heart zones and ending up doing themselves damage and undoing fitness.

Rather worryingly though, it appears to still be in use in the NHS. I was undergoing rehab following heart surgery not too long ago and they used this formula then.

Sorry but that is plain wrong. This is a massively outdated formula which has been comprehensively debunked. When you look at actual heart rate zones, the figures are nowhere near what you get from that formula in the vast majority of people.

I'm not blaming you for using it - you're just using what you've read online but, unfortunately, there's a lot of bad/pseudoscientific/outdated advice out there.

It can actually be dangerous to use this formula because people end up spending inappropriate amounts of time in the wrong heart zones and ending up doing themselves damage and undoing fitness.

Rather worryingly though, it appears to still be in use in the NHS. I was undergoing rehab following heart surgery not too long ago and they used this formula then.
Can you point me in the direction of correct formulas to use?

The NHS have always been behind the times in a few fitness and injury related things.

I was taught about piriformis syndrome contributing/causing sciatica in the early 00s and the NHS didn’t recognise it until the late 00s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.