Running thread

50 minutes of "see where I end up" round the delightful Dream this morning.

Took in loads of hills and different terrain.

Sun was out, numerous fit female runners in bicycle shorts were out.

Box ticked and on with my day :)

Spent an entire Parkrun once, behind a girl with the best arse I've ever seen. No intention of overtaking her, and was in the wank bank for months after

Can you point me in the direction of correct formulas to use?
There is no formula. Look at it like this: if you get in a room with 99 other 44-year-old men, are you all going to have the same max. and resting HRs? Of course not. So the same formula can't be reasonably extrapolated for all 100 of those individuals.

To find your resting heart rate, measure it before you get out of bed for three consecutive mornings then take the mean average.

For max. HR, there are various approaches. Bear in mind that, outside of getting a lab test, it's hard to get an accurate number but here's a very quick way of getting a rough figure:
https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20806124/how-to-find-your-max-heart-rate/
Some suggest adding 5bpm to the number you get.

Basically you can get an idea of max. HR by running an interval session (or, ideally, hill repeats), with each repeat being progressively harder until you are at absolute maximum effort. This should not be done frequently as it can be dangerous to push yourself that hard.

Then enter both your max. and resting HRs into your watch. When out running thereafter, use your watch's HR zones (press the up or down buttons to scroll through the screens until you see the screen showing HR, assuming you're using a Garmin), aiming to spend 80% of your miles in the aerobic zones.

Last edited:
There is no formula. Look at it like this: if you get in a room with 99 other 44-year-old men, are you all going to have the same max. and resting HRs? Of course not. So the same forumla can't be reasonably extrapolated for all 100 of those individuals.

To find your resting heart rate, measure it before you get out of bed for three consecutive mornings then take the mean average.

For max. HR, there are various approaches. Bear in mind that, outside of getting a lab test, it's hard to get an accurate number but here's a very quick way of getting a rough figure:
https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20806124/how-to-find-your-max-heart-rate/
Some suggest adding 5bpm to the number you get.

Basically you can get an idea of max. HR by running an interval session (or, ideally, hill repeats), with each repeat being progressively harder until you are at absolute maximum effort. This should not be done frequently as it can be dangerous to push yourself that hard.

Then enter both your max. and resting HRs into your watch. When out running thereafter, use the HR zones on there, aiming to spend 80% of your miles in the aerobic zones.
Cheers pal appreciate it. My resting rate is about 45/46, just need to work out my max and then stay within that boundary at Around 80% by the sounds of it. Thanks

I dont have a heart rate monitor now my Garmin has packed up. I just listen to my body and my perceived exertion. The reason I left my local running club was because times was all they ever talked about. Remember a woman crying because she'd trained to do a sub 60 minute 10k, and on the day did it just over. So to her all the training and the race were a waste of time. Someone on here told a similar story about a marathon (think it was Blue Hammer). I see the need to have targets etc. but enjoy it as well

I dont have a heart rate monitor now my Garmin has packed up. I just listen to my body and my perceived exertion. The reason I left my local running club was because times was all they ever talked about. Remember a woman crying because she'd trained to do a sub 60 minute 10k, and on the day did it just over. So to her all the training and the race were a waste of time. Someone on here told a similar story about a marathon (think it was Blue Hammer). I see the need to have targets etc. but enjoy it as well
My wife did the liverpool half marathon last year which was an incredible acheivement for her. She trained really hard and she always wanted to be sub 2hrs. On the day it was horrific conditions, driving rain and howling wind which made it so hard. She came in at 2hrs 6 seconds and she was gutted. Totally ruined her enthusiasm for running no matter how often i told her how amazing she'd done. Like you say, times / PB's are all well and good, but sometimes can be a real de-motivator if you build up to something to much.

Spent an entire Parkrun once, behind a girl with the best arse I've ever seen. No intention of overtaking her, and was in the wank bank for months after
Reminds me of a 10k race many years ago when I found myself behind a gorgeous young lady wearing tight shiny red shorts. She splashed through a muddy puddle and water trickled enticingly down the back of her beautifully shaped tanned thighs and calfs. I felt a stirring in my shorts, exacerbated by the movement of my running. I decided to overtake, to save my self from further embarrassment and never saw her again.

But the image remains.....

I feel my low moods are helped immensely by running on a fairly regular basis. Same with strength training but I’m doing far less now the gyms have closed. Think the evidence is pretty much nailed on as to the benefits of exercise but I absolutely feel them.

I was never a runner and took me about about three attempts over 2 years to finally get into it. Love it now and it’s brought great benefits and new friends. Can’t wait for the park runs to reopen but I’d hazard a guess they will be one of the last things to open.
Keep at it!

I'm definitely getting stuck into the Park Runs when they reopen :)

Reminds me of a 10k race many years ago when I found myself behind a gorgeous young lady wearing tight shiny red shorts. She splashed through a muddy puddle and water trickled enticingly down the back of her beautifully shaped tanned thighs and calfs. I felt a stirring in my shorts, exacerbated by the movement of my running. I decided to overtake, to save my self from further embarrassment and never saw her again.

But the image remains.....

Good work blue.

Not sure if possible to run with a hard on tbf.

Imagine two boiled eggs in a turquoise handkerchief, atop a lovely thigh gap between bronzed legs. Turns out she was Italian, Francesca IIRC, on holiday with her dad who ran alongside her.

Yes I checked her name via Park run times and found her Facebook and Instagram

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.