Fish

Lesson, always check origin of produce, meats & fish and buy local

On our 'foreign' cycling excursions we always try to stay at an 'Accord' hotel. The Ibis ones always seemed to put up a chalkboard telling yer where the breakfast items have come from - cheese from the Netherlands, meats from France 'n Poland. Not a fuckin' thing from England Continental bastards. Don't know why I give 'em me money!

I don't know about UK but I've been noticing at our supermarkets here in Oz that the fish on sale is from Asia.
Vietnam, Thailand etc
We have thousands of kilometres of coastline here in Oz, a massive island, yet Woolworths and other's choose to buy cheap fish from Asia.
Twats.

I've seen the Mekong Delta, it's like an open sewer, probably still full of agent Orange. You wouldn't want to eat fish from a farm there.
My advice..
Before you buy that fish, check where it's from.
Back in Britain we have a really strange situation with fish.

We have an abundance of sea life around the island but we overfish certain kinds (haddock, cod, sea bass) to the point where stocks are unsustainable but have many more beautiful tasting kinds of fish that are in abundance but we don’t consume them and sell them abroad instead.

In fact 75% of the fish we catch around the island is exported abroad. And we import fish that doesn’t taste as nice but is more expensive than what we export.

We import over 700,000 tonnes of fish from abroad but have stocks and stocks of fish that come up in catches that we either throw back or export abroad to make sure they’re not over breeding around Britain and spreading disease and causing unhealthy stocks.

We have to export over 90% of our pollock and herring stocks because shops don’t want to sell it because they think people they wouldn’t buy it.

We need to change our ways when it comes to fish... BUY BRITISH!

(And you should buy Aussie in Aus n’all!)

I reckon we may be forced to once we leave the EU’s trade zone. We exported £1.34bn worth of fish to the EU the other year; and imported £2.16bn from the EU.

I’ve got some oak and beechwood smoked Scottish Mackerel for my dinner today. Can’t wait. Can’t beat fish, it’s the most delicious thing known to man!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our chippy's not the best and even the chips are not like proper chippy chips. I went in one day for our supper and asked for two large pollock and chips and he told me to get the fuck out, so I have not been back since. The pollock has the same white flesh and similar flavour to cod but is just a poor mans supper. After the lashings of salt and vinegar go on you wouldn't notice the difference. Lots of fish fingers use them and when the front of the box says 100% fillet do not get giddy as it's only pollock fillet and that's why you get 18 for a pound eh.

Last edited:

We have an abundance of sea life around the island but we overfish certain kinds (haddock, cod, sea bass) to the point where stocks are unsustainable but have many more beautiful tasting kinds of fish that are in abundance but we don’t consume them and sell them abroad instead.

In fact 75% of the fish we catch around the island is exported abroad. And we import fish that doesn’t taste as nice but is more expensive than what we export.

We import over 700,000 tonnes of fish from abroad but have stocks and stocks of fish that come up in catches that we either throw back or export abroad to make sure they’re not over breeding around Britain and spreading disease and causing unhealthy stocks.

We have to export over 90% of our pollock and herring stocks because shops don’t want to sell it because they think people they wouldn’t buy it.

I reckon we may be forced to once we leave the EU’s trade zone. We exported £1.34bn worth of fish to the EU the other year; and imported £2.16bn from the EU.

I’ve got some oak and beechwood smoked Scottish Mackerel for my dinner today. Can’t wait. Can’t beat fish, it’s the most delicious thing known to man!
110%

Sad isn't it? A lot goes back to wartime/rationing when we were weaned onto fishfingers rather than fish. Also farmed salmon has become the 'chicken breast' of the fish world and most can't deal with skin/bones.

I've noticed that some of the fish I could buy are from SE Asia. I always had my doubts and thank you for confirming!. I've also spotted some shops trying to flog a New Zealand substitute for North Sea cod. Can't remember what it's called -begins with an 'h'. Doesn't taste of anything like cod. Once we've crowbarred the French 'n Spanish out of our continental shelf we'll be able to eat cod till it's coming out of our ears, or arses!
Harold?

On our 'foreign' cycling excursions we always try to stay at an 'Accord' hotel. The Ibis ones always seemed to put up a chalkboard telling yer where the breakfast items have come from - cheese from the Netherlands, meats from France 'n Poland. Not a fuckin' thing from England Continental bastards. Don't know why I give 'em me money!

I love this tbh. Rarely do you see this in the US but I like knowing where products come from - everyone should discriminate when it comes to origin of foods due to so many factors from pesticides and work conditions to sustainable & humane farming

I have an addiction for fresh grapefruit juice and over the years I have developed preferences for varieties and origins of gf (Corsica, Italy & some Spanish). Similarly I never purchase farm raised fish, has to be line caught & preferably local lake fish. Of course, my father in law now fishes most of the year and I have a steady stream of fish and end up freezing majority of it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.