George Floyd murder | Clashes between US police and protestors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember diving over a car bonnet to evade a police horse during the Swales Out protests / riots so they have their place. That said, I do feel for business owners who are seeing their businesses go up in flames and / or property looted. Gandhi, Martin Luther-King and Nelson Mandela (prison years) changed history without violent rioting, IIRC.

Mr Floyd's death is an atrocity and I want to see the perpetrator go to prison for a very long time. The police officer's conduct was appalling and the refusal of his colleagues to help Mr Floyd was atrocious. That said, it is still important to follow the rule of law in terms of prosecuting the case.

There have been horrendous racist assaults by US police officers. We have also seen misinformation on occasion that has boosted the enemies of democracy. I think it was during the Clinton / Trump democratic race that there was a terrible crime when a black motorist was killed by police. The Democrats claimed that a disproportionate number of black people were killed by patrol coppers but this was statistically false at the time and the Trump campaign made the most of of this to boost support. All the deaths were sad of course. It's just my opinion and a realise this is, quite rightly, a very sensitive topic for a lot of people.

When the city of Minneapolis has a death rate of 13x for Black than White, you can understand the rioting.

As for the businesses burning, some of those people are the community life blood:

If a police officer murders someone like that then I say it’s very fair for large scale riots and the behaviour we have seen.

it ‘should’ make police officers think twice

Unfortunately it takes a riot to make those officers see justice, if that incident isn’t on film, those riots don’t happen and they walk. When violence needs to happen to get justice for another act of violence then hope has gone.
There is so much violence in that country that people respond in the worst possible way. What country produces people that think a skin colour marks people out as wrong uns, as lower then you so you can treat them as you see fit. These kind of police officers won’t think twice they might think let’s make sure we aren’t caught.

Unfortunately the last sentence is also a statement of fact. If he said when you start looting others should start shooting then that is inciting violence. Personally I have always been uncomfortable with riots I think the main issue can be lost.

Saying that I would forgive whoever shot Trump mind as hypocritical as that sounds.

To be fair, they tried peacefully kneeling, but people had a big problem with that too.

I hear what you're saying though. It's an ugly situation, but it's what can happen when parts of the population have been antagonised, dehumanised and pushed to the brink in the manner that the black community have over so many decades.

I assume this has already been posted somewhere on this thread, but just for anyone who didn't see it...

It's literally a police state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.