SPACEX | NASA | Space Exploration | Other Space Ventures

Post a pic!
My phone died on the beach. On charge now in the car. Watched it on the tablet (couldn't log in here on it but could read comments).
Sent a pic to @Tueartsoverhead kick
If I knew for 100% it was going off i would have gone but then so would half of Florida!
Had a great day at Treasure Island though

Last edited:
Elon Musk talking about the future of how this is just a small step on what his vision is.

"Sets us on our way to making life multi-planetary. Starting with humans living on the moon and expanding outwards from there."
I have just watched that and the dynamics of the relationship between NASA and Elon are very interesting. The head of NASA is very “America this and America that” but Elon is much more about “the window of opportunity” for humanity which I find much more inspirational.

Personally I very excited about where this can take us having been brought up during a period of sci-fi and while I accept that the US can lead the way, this is for the human race and like the children of the 60s and 70s were inspired I would like to think today’s kids will be too. They are the future and I would like to grow old seeing the fruits of our and their labour continue to innovate and inspire the next generation to greater things.

I have just watched that and the dynamics of the relationship between NASA and Elon are very interesting. The head of NASA is very “America this and America that” but Elon is much more about “the window of opportunity” for humanity which I find much more inspirational.

Personally I very excited about where this can take us having been brought up during a period of sci-fi and while I accept that the US can lead the way, this is for the human race and like the children of the 60s and 70s were inspired I would like to think today’s kids will be too. They are the future and I would like to grow old seeing the fruits of our and their labour continue to innovate and inspire the next generation to greater things.

What struck me about the launch was how effortless it was. It seemed to just rise up when the clock ticked past one, the Saturn rockets and space shuttle had a huge explosion of energy then slowly rose upwards.

We should be a lot further with space exploration, we have never travelled further than the moon since the Saturn rockets. Lets see if this transforms into a trip to mars by the end of the decade.

What struck me about the launch was how effortless it was. It seemed to just rise up when the clock ticked past one, the Saturn rockets and space shuttle had a huge explosion of energy then slowly rose upwards.

We should be a lot further with space exploration, we have never travelled further than the moon since the Saturn rockets. Lets see if this transforms into a trip to mars by the end of the decade.
That can easily be explained by the 2,950,000 kg mass of the Saturn V compared with the 1,491,000 kg mass of a Falcon 9 but more importantly the 35,100 kN thrust of the former compared to the 7,607 kN of the latter. The two just don't compare. In the 60's America was in a race with the USSR but perhaps more pressingly with Kennedy's "by the end of the decade" speech. There was no time to wait for technology to improve so they just went for enormous, obscene, expensive power (cost per launch was $1,230 million compared with $62 million in today's money).

This is reason we are not further along with space exploration, we spent too much over a short period of time and have been flying budget ever since, a bit like city 1979-2008. But now with careful commercial costings we are running things better and more efficiently, a bit like city now!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.