Is it better to be ignorant ?

Not in a malice sense.

but there’s just so many problems in the world that if you spend enough time watching/reading it becomes very heavy and leads to anxiety and depression.

whilst some people can just switch off from it all and not have a care in the world and just go about there day, no debating, no arguing with anyone.

is it better to just be ignorant and not bother with all the worlds woes.
The world’s? In an individual scenario from country to country, there aren’t enough hours in the decade to touch on all the world’s woes. Where do you begin? In which order should we address them?

So, yes, I’d say it is better to be ignorant because if you only look at certain woes, ones you pick and choose to say you care about, what about all the others? I made a point on the US Police thread, about people in Trafalgar Sq protesting... do they protest every time something unjust happens everywhere in the world? They wouldn’t ever leave TrafSq in their entire lives if they did. But because it’s America, they see it as fashionable to care about it, so are out demonstrating... but what about all the other issues around the world?!

Closer to home? Yes! I choose to be bothered about what happens in Great Britain.

If something is happening here or is happening elsewhere but affecting the people on this island, then let’s look at making them better or making them disappear.

In terms of planetary woes? Making the world Greener; that should be up there in the top few things we’re all worried about and acting on, all the time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes i feel jealous of people who just don't care in the same ways as i feel jealous of those who have a faith and therefore somewhere to offload their woes. but mostly I can manage my emotions myself.

In a way, yes. In regard to covid, I know so much more than the people I speak to about it, because of bluemoon. They have just gone off what is in the news, if that. They have been far more relaxed about the whole thing.

Not in a malice sense.

but there’s just so many problems in the world that if you spend enough time watching/reading it becomes very heavy and leads to anxiety and depression.

whilst some people can just switch off from it all and not have a care in the world and just go about there day, no debating, no arguing with anyone.

Yep.

My wife is one of these. Has taken a bit more interest in this but in general avoids the news and papers and doesn’t really know what’s going on in the world. Likes to live in her own happy bubble as she puts it.

Not in a malice sense.

I get the sentiment of your post - my mum text me this morning, worried 'bout the mental health of my dad - they've both been "confined to barracks" since lockdown and he spends a significant amount of the day listening or watching the news. Mum thinks he needs to switch off and focus on something else. Which is hard when you can't set foot outside your home - which in itself is a constant reminder of this "thing". I've tempered the amount of news I now read; it was getting me in a fug of depression so I catch up with Newsnight and find that's much healthier. It's actually been quite strange to see the events in the US become headline news - Covid, for once, taking a back seat. Since March everything, the news, sport, TV etc, etc seems to have been subsumed by Covid. so I completely get the "ignorance" thing; a chance to switch off from the death rates, the infection rates, the wait for a vaccine etc. Normally I'd say everyone should be attuned to the news, to know what's happening in the world, to be au fait with the newspapers, but, on this, I think it's healthy to have some time off.

The emergency services deal with it by utilising black humour as it lessens the reality of it. That is a far better way than 'ignorance'. I believe you should read, listen to what is n=being said so that you can make up your own mind. Yes there are so awful things going on in the world but to ignore them is plain wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.