George Floyd murder | Clashes between US police and protestors

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it’s ok to riot now? to burn down local shops and smash up community centres?? For every protest or cause?

can you explain how that helps them right now?

“if you're turned off the protests for racial equality in America because some buildings get looted then you never really cared.”

That’s a pretty sweeping statement. I can care or someone else can care about racial equality without wanting mass rioting or buildings set on fire. I’m sure most people who live in the areas affected dont want to see their community shops being burned down

America's history is built on riots being an effective driver for social change. Peaceful protest has been ignored for decades; derided even in the past 5 years.

Christ can you imagine where theyd be as a country if there were a bunch of concern trolls saying "oh so it's ok to throw tea into a harbour now is it? This isnt the way!!"

No one wants riots to happen, but they have been a part of the process for hundreds of years. They make people who dont give a shit about peaceful protests pay attention.

So yeah, if you back out when things get to this point, if you care more about bricks and mortar than forcing people to listen to a message they've ignored, you dont really care that much about the message.

Last edited:
If it is to be heard, yes, it's ok in my books. I agree that lot of this rioting is not for the right cause, but just to steal stuff and that's the problem the real protesters should work on themselves. Kick those fuckers who are looting shops and then go and burn the closest police station.

Oh the fucking irony.
Not sure you’ve noticed but the majority of posters who’ve joined in the last few months are dicks.
It’s as though a load of old members who’ve been fucked off have decided to join up again and inundate the forum with twattish posts.
I’m sure that’s not the case though and it’s just coincidence..

Not a watcher of apocalyptic ‘pandemic’ films or player of computer games, so perhaps someone can enlighten me. Do these films/games generally portray society spiralling downwards into riots and anarchy in a pandemic? If they do, is there a catalyst for these events, or do they merely follow on from the pandemic. Just trying to determine whether life in the US is imitating art.

Find it interesting that 1919, which came to be known as the Red Summer, saw a phenomenal amount of civil unrest and rioting across the country, though accounts of it tend to focus on other contributing factors and not the pandemic itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Summer
One that comes to mind is handmaid's tale

Americas history is built on riots being an effective driver for social change. Peaceful protest has been ignored for decades.

So if you care more about bricks and mortar than ending police brutality towards black people, then yeah you never cared.

again sweeping statements. Never said I cared more about bricks and mortar either... you can care about the community/ local shops and also care about ending police brutality. It’s not either or

one of the most powerful protests in the uk were the Iraq war protests. One of The largest ones had no looting or mass rioting. robbing a shop isn’t going to change a thing in my opinion

next time there’s corruption or anything similar in the uk let’s all go to our community centres. Shops, business’s and burn them down ...

I think these protests were well intentioned and the right thing to do.

Peaceful protesting is fine, but lots of these people are just there to cause violence. What do they gain from smashing up community shops or looting?

problem is peaceful protesting has not worked for decades now.

at what point should people stand for their protests being ignored time and time again ?

at what point should people stand for their protests being ignored time and time again ?

I understand that and completely support protest against what’s gone on, but how is burning down local business’s going to change that ? Especially in the areas/areas where these awful things have happened

Agreed, it's the same people moaning against the XR protests last year. People have have fucking had enough of the economic/political system - it's time for a fucking change. We are 100% slaves at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.