Bluemoon Angling Thread

Fairly sure it was a Mole going by the pink nose and feet. I'll be sure not to attempt to stroke it next time. Something just occurred to me, I was fishing chopped worm at the time, perhaps it was homing in on the smell.

A dead give away is the attache case and dark glasses.

So, lock down relaxed in Scotland to allow us to fish our local waters (5 miles from home), I drove to my local fishery which is just 40 miles further than that. Weather: cloudless skies, bright sunlight and a stiffening breeze, the very worst for fly fishing. The loch looked stunning, it was down a few inches on its usual level but the water was crystal clear, you could count pebbles on the loch bed in 14 foot of water.

as I set up in the boat, I could see trout moving all round me so despite the sun they were close to the surface. Floating line on, 24 foot leader, washing line method with a booby on the point, a FAB on the top dropper and a couple of buzzers in between. In essence, the FAB and Booby both have foam to keep them high in the water which ensures the buzzers fish where you want them to, about 18 inches under the surface to mimic the hatching natural.

anyhow, first cast out, straighten the leader and dead slow figure of eight retrieve. 10 seconds later a pluck followed by the line drawing away. Lift rod and first fish of the day is on.

so in the weeks of lockdown, these trout had naturalised, fed well and grown. Their tails had repaired completely from the rearing ponds, Fins were razor sharp and unblemished. As a result they fought very very strongly. Many took line from me, got round the back of the boat, disappeared into weed and even after many minutes playing them they had strength left for a final few tricks. I have line burn on my hand this morning where line was ripped through fingers at speed.

the morning was spectacular fishing and when things started to slow down fishing the washing line, I noticed a boat drifting (rather than at anchor) and picking up fish all the way down the loch. The angler was using short casts, leaving the flies on the water for 10 seconds and then recasting. That is the traditional way to fish dry flies which stay on the surface rather than under it. Mind made up, switched to a shorter leader to give me more accuracy, two droppers, a bibio (which mimics a hawthorn fly) and a cdc olive. Anchor up and off I went.

there is nothing in angling that can beat dry fly fishing, drifting gently pushed by the wind, short casts fanned in front of you, eyes on the tiny dots that are your flies maybe as close as 8 yards from the boat and then, relaxed as hell up comes a nose and the bibio is engulfed. Not too quick or the fly is snatched out of the trout# mouth, wait a second and then lift the rod. Trout flies out of the water In an attempt to throw the fly. Just magical.

So the afternoon was spent drifting with dries. Things started slowing down about three and by then it was really scorchio and I was getting a bit overheated so decided to call it a day. More than 20 trout caught averaging about 2 1/2 lb, the biggest knocking 4lb. One killed for the smoker, the rest safely returned.

Brilliant days fishing and lockdown makes you appreciate everything just that bit more. The moorhen in the reeds, the housemartins skimming the loch taking midges, the smells, the sounds....just wonderful.
Great post pal, some of your trout terminology is slightly baffling being mostly a course angler. But I've caught a few trout's in my time, mostly from the POF pond. Glad to say they were caught and released to take another guy's fly; )

Was it a mole or a vole ? Many years ago I had a very similar experience. I was sitting there fishing and minding my own business when I became aware that my foot was involuntarily tapping and on closer inspection something was doing exactly what you described but trying to surface right under my foot. I didn't see what it was but it didn't seem as big as a mole so I assumed it was a vole. Do they even burrow underground ?

On the subject of moles, on another occasion I was minding my own business (a hobby of mine) looking out of my lounge window when I spotted a mole running along the rectangular path surrounding the patch of lawn. It appeared to be unable to find it's way out over the slightly raised sides. Intrigued, I popped out for a close look and couldn't believe how clean and velvety its fur was. How the fuck can it burrow underground but still have pristine fur ? Anyway, I thought I'd stroke it and the fucker bit me so I left it to it.
What did it bite you with. It’s molars?

fishing suit,
im after a new fishing suit(jacket,bib n brace outfit) not really into branded stuff ie having names all over me,im more into the practical hardwearing non commercial look,anyone recommend a place to look,

Russian Uniform Gorka 4 looks ok to me,has anyone heard of this or used it and would review it ?

fishing suit,
im after a new fishing suit(jacket,bib n brace outfit) not really into branded stuff ie having names all over me,im more into the practical hardwearing non commercial look,anyone recommend a place to look,

Russian Uniform Gorka 4 looks ok to me,has anyone heard of this or used it and would review it ?
I'm the same nowadays..not into garish gear advertising names. Take a look at this pal. Great value and good gear for the price.
https://www.bordergunsandtackle.co....hlhyGQMs-xfTqPBNPUNULSVm6McXmcJAaAqaNEALw_wcB

I’ve been restricting myself to short 1-2 hour lure fishing exploratory sessions over the last couple of weeks mainly. I can’t find the big perch any more. I think they’ve migrated from the canals to the rivers because of the low water, and maybe feeding on crays. I’ve had a few pike but nothing to speak of. Last night I had a frustrating little session. I went to the local tench pond and fished a boilie on a lift float, just a short session.

I baited an area with pellets and boilies. Was just about to cast when some geezer comes wandering down the path. Gets chatting then says. “Do you mind if I bait up for the morning?” To which I said no. He only started chucking boilies into my swim. I couldn’t believe it and told him straight. He went off in a huff. Ten minutes later another guy comes wandering down for a chat and starts talking in a big booming voice. I had to tell him too. So I’ve only just started fishing and I’ve had to bollock two noddies for blatant abuse of angling etiquette.

Anyway, an hour and a half or so later and my swim starts bubbling like a jacuzzi. The float was knocking around too. Then my wife rings telling me to come home to do the chips and pick up some lemons etc. I hung on as long As I could, enough to get a little bollocking when I get in, but basically had to pack up with a swim full of feeding fish.

I’m going up a notch to more serious fishing now. I’m going to do a 48 hour carp session midweek this week and then next week it’s barbel time. Tight lines to all anglers out there!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.