George Floyd murder | Clashes between US police and protestors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched protest in Las Vegas last night and it was bit boring. They were just walking through the city and whenever faced the police, they would turn and walk in different direction. They will change fuck all with that.

At least one officer was shot in Vegas last night, too.

Edit: he was shot in the head and is on life support. An armed citizen was also shot and killed by police outside a hotel.

I absolutely support people on the streets, I'd absolutely support violence and rioting against institutions, no change without some level of violence, but I'm afraid the real cause will get buried because of this.

It’ll definitely be a headline, but I’m not so sure it’ll be the main point taken from these riots.

Hopefully it becomes more organised and
Then I watched the one from Providence, RI and I saw police car burning, police and protesters facing each ones and preparing for battle. That's better, that's where anger and frustration is showed and it's acceptable level and place for bit of violence in struggle for change. But soon, many of them moved from that position and just started vandalising the whole city. At one point they set the shoes shop on fire in the building with many apartments above the shop. I didn't like that at all.

I get your point. However tensions are so high that there will be people who take it too far. There will be people who tag along for the sake of a bit of aimless destruction. That’s just part and parcel of any movement.

Don’t let the idiots obscure the bigger picture.

It's very hard indeed to compare both countries police force. Ours is country wide led, their's can be distilled down to a Mayor and a few officers doing their own thing in a small town right up to the big city police that you see in places like New York. They have state borders, traffic cops that have no jurisdiction on none traffic violations, traffic cops that do and all other weird foibles.

The City you picked is a difficult one to call. The most segregated City in America. And yet 40% of it's occupants are black. It's well above the national statistic for rape, robbery, homicide etc etc and it's apparently the 8th most dangerous City in the US. It is also the second poorest. Calling for a no Police city sounds like fairyland at best. Using the money to retrain the Police and gain community support seems the way forward to me. Not pushing them away.

And yet it all sounds lovely on the brochures. Largest music festival in the world. Some great museums and beer. Lots and lots of lovely beer. I've been and had a great time.

I can imagine. The US is an incredible country. Intoxicating in many ways. I’ve been to San Francisco a couple of times and fell in love with the place. The country can dwarf you like no other though. Everything is bigger, louder, brasher. Always a tinge of menace in the air.
I was staying in Oakland (itself a pretty dangerous city) for a couple of weeks with distant family friends before jumping in a youth hostel/backpackers hotel in San Francisco 2 weeks later. Had a late one in Northbeach and inadvertently got locked out the house so had to sleep in a park in Oakland one night.
Always a local murder on the news every night.
Felt like I could live there forever but then it I thought it would drive me mad

Last edited:
It's very hard indeed to compare both countries police force. Ours is country wide led, their's can be distilled down to a Mayor and a few officers doing their own thing in a small town right up to the big city police that you see in places like New York. They have state borders, traffic cops that have no jurisdiction on none traffic violations, traffic cops that do and all other weird foibles.

The City you picked is a difficult one to call. The most segregated City in America. And yet 40% of it's occupants are black. It's well above the national statistic for rape, robbery, homicide etc etc and it's apparently the 8th most dangerous City in the US. It is also the second poorest. Calling for a no Police city sounds like fairyland at best. Using the money to retrain the Police and gain community support seems the way forward to me. Not pushing them away.

And yet it all sounds lovely on the brochures. Largest music festival in the world. Some great museums and beer. Lots and lots of lovely beer. I've been and had a great time.

You've also go to go all the way back to the formation of both police forces.

In the USA, the first police forces in the South were mercenaries hired to bring back runaway slaves, and in the North they were born out of rich industrialists managing to lever their influence to get the local governments to pay for their private security forces.

There was never a Robert Peel character, who proposed a police force which protected civilians by being an alternative to the military which was being used before. The Met was set up based around the Peelian principles of policing, which is all about being a service to the public, not using force and that the police are members of the public.

So from the very beginning of their existence, the two countries approach to policing is poles apart. One was to hunt down and punish people (slaves) and the other was to prevent crime and get rid of oppressive military policing that existed prior.

I don't like this looting at all. I could understand it first night or two when everyone was angry and could get wrong judgement in that frustration. But it's a week now and from what I've seen watching live streams last night, it's just pure vandalism and robbery. I'm all for attacking police, burning their cars, attacking government buildings, but just plain booting, vandalism and robbery.. that has nothing with blacks rights cause.

I was out and about on the streets during the London riots, not that many years ago, and it was the same then - genuine protests and a peaceful march against what people perceived to be an unlawful killing by the police of a member of the community which quickly spread to utter chaos when opportunists and people with nothing better to do began streaming into my borough in huge droves.

EDIT: Jesus! I just realised it was nearly a decade ago. It feels like we're only 3-4 years removed from those riots.

Last edited:
You've also go to go all the way back to the formation of both police forces.

In the USA, the first police forces in the South were mercenaries hired to bring back runaway slaves, and in the North they were born out of rich industrialists managing to lever their influence to get the local governments to pay for their private security forces.

There was never a Robert Peel character, who proposed a police force which protected civilians by being an alternative to the military which was being used before. The Met was set up based around the Peelian principles of policing, which is all about being a service to the public, not using force and that the police are members of the public.

So from the very beginning of their existence, the two countries approach to policing is poles apart. One was to hunt down and punish people (slaves) and the other was to prevent crime and get rid of oppressive military policing that existed prior.

Ad to this that Sherrifs are still elected by the community and not necessarily elected for their policing prowess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.