The Guardian's 100 best UK number ones

These list things are absolute bollocks, if not totally made up by a few dick heads in a room

Typical example
Greatest Hits Top 300 records by British artists, was done over the recent Bank Holiday weekend.

Not one record by Status Quo, the band with over 60 chart hits, and the most appearances on Top of the Pops, don't get a single record in there. They are liked by various age demographics, and have made some cracking singles over a 40 year period, yet not a single entry, on a stations chart which will play rock music.
Genesis (150 million + records sold) got 1 entry

Either a few people's tastes chart, or a load of old bollocks chart, or a we forgot a load of artists when we were doing this chart, chart

I see them as kind of talking points really it's just somebody's opinion there is no Richter scale on what is a better song than another.
I will say I think melody is a strong indicator of a good song, a memorable melody.
There are some songs that I don't particularly like but I appreciate that they have a good melody.
River deep Mountain High would be a good example of that I don't like it but it has an awesome melody.
I used to like writing songs and I found that the melody was the hardest part.
We all have our favourite songs.
Yes, too easily trashy pop songs are dismissed yet the talent in some of them, particularly in the melody as you say and overlapping tracks is apparent. Others however just just old tried and tested rehashed basic chord sequence hooks and must have been composed in minutes. This list has some strange inclusions and ordering but in the main picks out the former from the latter.

These list things are absolute bollocks, if not totally made up by a few dick heads in a room

Typical example
Greatest Hits Top 300 records by British artists, was done over the recent Bank Holiday weekend.

Not one record by Status Quo, the band with over 60 chart hits, and the most appearances on Top of the Pops, don't get a single record in there. They are liked by various age demographics, and have made some cracking singles over a 40 year period, yet not a single entry, on a stations chart which will play rock music.
Genesis (150 million + records sold) got 1 entry

Either a few people's tastes chart, or a load of old bollocks chart, or a we forgot a load of artists when we were doing this chart, chart
Both utter shite...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.