COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-world-health-organization-hydroxychloroquine

Unbelievable.

I'm not sure how The Lancet can be regarded as a respected publication with Horton at the helm either.

Horton has ruined that publication and is a disgrace to science, having politicised it for years. It's no surprise that the study concerned Hydroxychloroquine, which just so happened to be the drug touted by one of his political enemies.

Last edited:
I may be in a minority but I find it hard to accept that a lot of furloughed people are flocking to the beaches every day and treating like a big holiday. I appreciate that people need things to do but it just doesn't seem right at all when others are still working and others have lost their jobs.
I've been working right through and not had a single day off this year apart from bank holidays.
It's all messed up.

And here in the North East Hamsterly forest had to close on Monday after saying they had received a record number of punters. A town near Barnard Castle, called Middleton in Teasdale was shut down by the police due to the amount of visitors.
And a report is now out showing that Dominic Cummings parents have not paid council tax on their property and the 2nd house on the land did noit have building permission. Apparently they only had the ok to build a swimming pool but built the 2nd house as well.
I know Middleton (The real one) we’ve got friends there. Stayed over in the passed en route to Newcastle and Sunderland as they are both big Newcastle fans

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-world-health-organization-hydroxychloroquine

Unbelievable.

I'm not sure how The Lancet can be regarded as a respected publication with Horton at the helm either.

Horton has ruined that publication and is a disgrace to science, having politicised it for years. It's no surprise that the study concerned Hydroxychloroquine, which just so happened to be the drug touted by one of his political enemies.

the bigger question now is how they handle it. its perfectly valid for a scientific journal to post articles from scientists. Its on the scientists to validate the data they used to write the papers. Id guess with the fact that both journals posted it means the scientists who wrote it have some credibility. 2 out of 3 of the authors certainly have history of papers out there. the other author seems to be the dubious one.

its now on the journal to remove the article or start to monitor progress of peer reviews etc.

I may be in a minority but I find it hard to accept that a lot of furloughed people are flocking to the beaches every day and treating like a big holiday. I appreciate that people need things to do but it just doesn't seem right at all when others are still working and others have lost their jobs.
I've been working right through and not had a single day off this year apart from bank holidays.
It's all messed up.

What would you have them do? Whip themselves 5 times a day? Not forgetting many of those on furlough will be wondering if they will have jobs to go back to. They are losing 20% of their earnings too. Providing they do nothing to endanger others then they can do what they like surely?

It is a reality some people just don't understand mate. This track and trace may cause more problems than it solves.
I was happy to self isolate early on when i had symptoms.
Then do the same again when my wife and kids had symptoms.

My wife is a key working teacher looking after key workers children.
Basically everything will trigger this self isolation track and trace thing.
She will get paid regardless.
I'm self employed and will receive nothing. We having savings, so i can manage for a while.
However, my business cannot recover if i constantly let my customers down. People are being more understanding, but that only goes so far.

The main problem with the track and trace stopping me working is that i probably don't have it, and it's only a precaution. It's harder to believe if i and my family don't have any symptoms.
So if it constantly triggers and i cannot work, then at some point i will ignore it.
Yup, the biggest problem is that they don't test you, they just tell you to isolate just in case. That's despite them pretending to have tens of thousands of available extra tests each day. If they tested you when they told you to isolate, they'd cut that time wasted down hugely.

Very interesting thread here summarising some findings from a study into immunity. It comes from Anthony Costello , a professor at UCL, and ex-WHO director. It touches on the discussions from a couple of weeks back about t-cells and their potential importance in immunity,

Click through for the whole thread.

its perfectly valid for a scientific journal to post articles from scientists. Its on the scientists to validate the data they used to write the papers. Id guess with the fact that both journals posted it means the scientists who wrote it have some credibility. 2 out of 3 of the authors certainly have history of papers out there. the other author seems to be the dubious one.

its now on the journal to remove the article or start to monitor progress of peer reviews etc.

Not really. There's a lot of scientists out there with crank views who are willing to manipulate test conditions/test results in order to corroborate their beliefs. A publication like the Lancet shouldn't give them that opportunity just because they have a qualification.

It may well be the case that the charlatan behind the data gathering for the Hydroxochloroquine study has credible qualifications but that doesn't mean something as blatantly spurious as this should be aired to the world with the name of a formerly prestigious medical journal attached.

It just so happens that the studies/articles that get through without proper analysis of the data or methods always seem to be the stuff that chimes with Horton's weltanschauung. So whether that's stuff on anti-vaxxing, anti-Iraq war, anti-Israel, the result is always the same: science tainted by politics.

The worst thing about this is that it was so predictable. As soon as Trump came out and spoke about the drug, it was a matter of time before the Lancet published something questioning its efficacy. I just hope the drug does turn out to be useless otherwise Horton's politics have once again likely cost thousands of lives.

Not really. There's a lot of scientists out there with crank views who are willing to manipulate test conditions/test results in order to corroborate their beliefs. A publication like the Lancet shouldn't give them that opportunity just because they have a qualification.

It may well be the case that the charlatan behind the data gathering for the Hydroxochloroquine study has credible qualifications but that doesn't mean something as blatantly spurious as this should be aired to the world with the name of a formerly prestigious medical journal attached.

It just so happens that the studies/articles that get through without proper analysis of the data or methods always seem to be the stuff that chimes with Horton's weltanschauung. So whether that's stuff on anti-vaxxing, anti-Iraq war, anti-Israel, the result is always the same: science tainted by politics.

The worst thing about this is that it was so predictable. As soon as Trump came out and spoke about the drug, it was a matter of time before the Lancet published something questioning its efficacy. I just hope the drug does turn out to be useless otherwise Horton's politics have once again likely cost thousands of lives.

thats what I was saying though, this was 3 scientists, 2 have a history of successful papers released. 1 of them has quite a few over 20 years. so its hardly a "crank" view from an editors point of view. seems the scientists were duped by the data too so you can hardly call it "blatantly spurious".

they should certainly make the lack of peer review more obvious though. Although when Dr Campbell did a vid about it he did point out it wasn't peer reviewed. but looking at the article I cant see how to tell. the New England Journal of Medicine fell for it too so it must have been credible

Last edited:
It's all messed up.
What a ludicrous post!
What do you think they should do?
It’s no fault of theirs that their employers cannot get them back to work.
Congratulations on getting full pay by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.