COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hot weather is definitely not playing any part with this virus. I'm looking at numbers in Middle East last few days and they are getting no less cases than 2 months ago and temperatures are in their 40s (celsius) over there these days. I have a friend in Qatar and he posted a photo on Instagram yesterday, it was 43 degrees and they had 1900 new cases. Saudi Arabia over 2000 too. Bahrain and UAE 700-800. Apart from Saudi Arabia, they are all tiny countries and those are big, big numbers for countries of their size.

Iran looks like they are getting a 2nd wave too. They were early hitters, it started there at about the same time as it did in Italy and they had 3100 new cases yesterday. Their deaths plateau is lasting almost 2 months already, though it might be that their early death numbers were not really correct, guess it was much higher in March and April.

Only Europe and East Asia (Australia and New Zealand too) look like they have this thing under control so far. It's really plain to see that whoever had a good lockdown is out of the hell for now and who had an early one, never was in one.

Only few exceptions to that rule. Saudi Arabia for ex., from what I've read had some hard and early lockdowns, even curfews, but they are still getting high numbers. Guess people are not very disciplined there. But they don't have that many deaths. And it's even more strange with Qatar, they have by far the biggest relative number of confirmed cases in the world, but their official death toll is only 16 per million. That can't be the real number for sure or their "branch" of the virus is common cold alike one. Though it might be due to the fact that Arab countries have some of the youngest populations in the world.

Hot weather in and of itself isn't likely to do that much - it survives happily at 37.8 in the body.

Direct sunlight has more of an effect, as it irradiates the virus which can deactivate it. It will also heat surfaces beyond ambient temperature helping to sterilise them.

However, and this is a guess, a temperature of 43 probably means almost no-one is out in the sun, as it's too hot. That may mean they're inside, where obviously the virus spreads better.

Felicitations, fabulous fun fact fans!

Here's the latest on the 07:33 arrival into Central London, (pre Covid-19 carried 1,000 passengers.)

27th March - 53 passengers

9th April - 55

21st April - 57

19th May - 76

Today - 89

And only about 15% wearing any kind of face covering.

It's still considered very quiet but a noticable increase in passengers.

I'd like to think that we won't ever return to sardine can status on the rush hour trains again as companies and staff realise the benefits of WFH.

Stay safe all.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Has anyone heard from @karen7? Noticed she's been quiet recently. I know she had covid at one point so just a bit concerned about her health.

Has anyone heard from @karen7? Noticed she's been quiet recently. I know she had covid at one point so just a bit concerned about her health.
I'm sure she's OK mate - those who have relapses and croak, tend to have them quickly - like within a day or two - of seemingly starting to recover. Karen's been recovering or recovered for many weeks now.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/#category=utlas&map=rate&area=e09000028

If NW was, its not anymore. NE has highest rates if infection at the moment. Although Barrow's rate is shcoking.

do you have links for your info?

The PHE Covid-19 Surveillance report
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-covid-19-surveillance-reports
Published every Wednesday
Top report page 6 has a rolling 2 week map by local authority. Most of the red authorities are in the North West and North MIdlands. The Tees valley isnt great either and there are hotspots elsewhere.
Get the daily figures for the UK as a CSV and sort on positive tests for a daily picture across the whole country.

I'm sure she's OK mate - those who have relapses and croak, tend to have them quickly - like within a day or two - of seemingly starting to recover. Karen's been recovering or recovered for many weeks now.
She's OK. She'll be back at some point. I'm sure she'd appreciate that you're missing her.

She must just be staying away from this thread as I saw posts from her in the George Floyd thread from during the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.