Chester Zoo

Oh indeed on a serious note a donation to Chester Zoo right now to those who can afford a bit is by the sounds of things bloody badly needed. Its a fantastic establishment that not only brings a different world to many but does alot of good work across the world.

Support them in anyway you can.
Personally I think all zoos should be banned. As should any enterprise that makes money from animals (not Including the food industry).

Can't understand why anyone wants to drink in there, it's shite.

They let you bring your chippie tea in from next door and they have a dance floor in the other room and also live sport on the TV and only a couple of dozen wobbles to the ground so we score it 7/10. We preferred Mickeys place as it had a nicer beer garden and also a little less giddy than Mary's where you could interact with other football aficionados in a manner likely to be heard.

Last edited:
Personally I think all zoos should be banned. As should any enterprise that makes money from animals (not Including the food industry).

I'm torn. On one hand, I'm with you, animals should not be in enclosures. But on the other, CZ seem to be doing a lot for conservation, and also I'm very worried at what would happen to the animals if the place went bust (it's not a bank, so I can't see the govt bailing it out)

I 100% get the concerns from animal rights activists, but I genuinely believe Chester Zoo is a force for good. A fantastic place who do an awful lot of great work for animals - they deeply care about them and conservation efforts.

Chester Zoo is brilliant and it would be a massive loss to the north west and this country if we were to lose it. They look after their animals and they get the very best care, they also contribute to a lot of animal projects around the world.

Without amazing zoos like Chester we would lose a lot more animals and a lot more animals would become endangered. They also do a great job of educating people about animals.

My dad was and is staunchly opposed to all zoos, so growing up we never really went to any outside a primary school trip and maybe a trip to west midlands safari park or something when me and my siblings were really driving my mum insane during school holidays one year.

So when I was about 22 and in San Diego for the first time, I thought I'd go to the zoo. San Diego Zoo at the time was supposed to be the best in the world, cageless exhibits and absolutely huge, and loads of conservation going on, and I felt like I was going to finally see a bit of stereotypical childhood that I'd missed out.

But after 4 hours of walking around and taking it all in, I was left with the distinct impression that if this was the best zoo in the world, there just shouldn't be any zoos - or at least there's a great deal of animals - Tigers, Lions, Elephants, Giraffes, birds that should never be in zoos. Seeing a bunch of Elephants share an area the size of a football pitch while being told they naturally walk up to 200km per day was genuinely upsetting, as was the fact that the general tone of the other visitors was not really one of conservation or education at all, but just wanting a selfie with every exotic animal, no one was really reading the exhibits or listening to the speakers. No one was paying attention to the rules.

In a world where everyone can watch David Attenborough documentaries in HD on youtube, and there's 3m+ acre sanctuaries in Africa that can home them, I don't think there's a place for an Elephant to be locked up in Chester.

Anyway I doubt they'll be going away any time soon, but I think I'll follow my old man on this one and just steer clear of them myself when I have kids.

My dad was and is staunchly opposed to all zoos, so growing up we never really went to any outside a primary school trip and maybe a trip to west midlands safari park or something when me and my siblings were really driving my mum insane during school holidays one year.

So when I was about 22 and in San Diego for the first time, I thought I'd go to the zoo. San Diego Zoo at the time was supposed to be the best in the world, cageless exhibits and absolutely huge, and loads of conservation going on, and I felt like I was going to finally see a bit of stereotypical childhood that I'd missed out.

But after 4 hours of walking around and taking it all in, I was left with the distinct impression that if this was the best zoo in the world, there just shouldn't be any zoos - or at least there's a great deal of animals - Tigers, Lions, Elephants, Giraffes, birds that should never be in zoos. Seeing a bunch of Elephants share an area the size of a football pitch while being told they naturally walk up to 200km per day was genuinely upsetting, as was the fact that the general tone of the other visitors was not really one of conservation at all, but just wanting a selfie with every exotic animal, no one was really reading the exhibits or listening to the speakers.

In a world where everyone can watch David Attenborough documentaries in HD on youtube, and there's 3m+ acre sanctuaries in Africa that can home them, I don't think there's a place for an Elephant to be locked up in Chester.

Similar to you, I went to Barcelona Zoo, where I observed a solitary Brown Bear doing the exact same lap of his enclosure (I watched for about 10 minutes, his feet even hit the same stains on each lap), and an Otter doing backflips constantly, obviously had become stir-crazy.
It was then that I decided I'd never visit a zoo again ever.

But after 4 hours of walking around and taking it all in, I was left with the distinct impression that if this was the best zoo in the world, there just shouldn't be any zoos - or at least there's a great deal of animals - Tigers, Lions, Elephants, Giraffes, birds that should never be in zoos. Seeing a bunch of Elephants share an area the size of a football pitch while being told they naturally walk up to 200km per day was genuinely upsetting, as was the fact that the general tone of the other visitors was not really one of conservation or education at all, but just wanting a selfie with every exotic animal, no one was really reading the exhibits or listening to the speakers. No one was paying attention to the rules.

Anyway I doubt they'll be going away any time soon, but I think I'll follow my old man on this one and just steer clear of them myself when I have kids.
Elephants walk 200 KM a day?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.