George Floyd murder | Clashes between US police and protestors

Status
Not open for further replies.
This video the BBC have put in an article is insightful.

9 police officers, 4 wearing white shirts so they are Lieutenants or higher in rank.

And none of them know that essential workers like food delivery drivers are exempt from the curfew.

It's not violent this time, but it really shows the dysfunction of the police department.

Nedum Onuaha spoke about this yesterday. He said that basically hes a bit wary of the police in the UK, but he fears the police in the USA because any incident is likely to be fatal.
https://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/commentary/2020-06-03-reflections-on-color-of-my-skin.php

"Some studies show that the risk of death for an unarmed person at the hands of the police is approximately the same no matter the demographics of who gets arrested. Okay. But if your demographic gets stopped ten times more than others, then your demographic will die at ten times the rate."

CB
Are they your own thoughts or is it a transcript from somewhere?

I agree wholeheartedly that this is being ramped up under Trump to the points mentioned.
But the underlying problems have been there for a long time.
Him at the helm and the fact another such police murder was so graphically caught on mobile camera, seems to have brought this to a head and you do get the feeling, not so much that this time it’s different. But, this time with his re-election at stake, the pressure won’t be allowed to drop until something positively tangible is done.

The fact he is at the helm makes that less likely and his next move is crucial in where America goes with these protests.

Pressure seems like it is starting to mount from within the various corridors of power. Certainly you would think he does not have the backing of the military, so I don’t see the prospect of him forcing a dictatorship situation.

Stay safe my friend. As I told you before, I have family in South side Chicago and I would hate this to turn ugly.
My own thoughts, as always, unless otherwise noted.

I was on the South Side yesterday. Just another Thursday, as opposed to the stark reality of the Mag Mile. Things had calmed down for the most part, but Summer Friday & Saturday nights, when the weather is hot, are a bloodbath in the South Side, as you know. Sadly, the general sentiment has been “as long as they’re only killing themselves, and keeping it confined to their own streets, then whatever!” Never heard that publicly or officially, but it is common parlance amongst (the mostly white) people with whom I interact.

And, lest we gloss over the fact, MILLIONS AND MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of black people are just as law-abiding, if not more so, than white people. They know the system is rigged against them and take great pains to stay out of it, having learned the lessons the hard way in their community. Poverty, economic injustice born of racist policies, and a judicial system that sees the George Floyds of the world as “angry black men we should fear.”

We can be better. We NEED to be better. And, by WE, I mean the white society that CREATES the policies that have created the lopsided playing field by putting their racist thumb on the scales of justice.

I grew up in an era of songs about “Paki-bashing” and the like, but my children’s generation of young, educated, socially aware adults are, for the most part, colorblind and more interested in your beliefs than your color. That’s a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.