Selling a house

Isn’t that commonplace? I nearly bought in Rhodes, Middleton but decided against it. I was a cash buyer and they asked for proof of funds before accepting the offer.

I had to when I bought last year, mate.

Prioritise a person who is cash only and put the house on at the top value. Then you can appear to negotiate. Even if it's 5/10k, they will feel like winners. If demand is as great as you say, you shouldn't have a problem finding the right buyer. (I don't know the industry, but sales are sales, whether it's a house or toilet roll)

Good luck and don't feel pushed to do anything you aren't comfortable with.

What area are you in? Estate agents reputations really vary depending on location in London, in my experience

Newham. We’re looking at Foxtons, Bairstow Eves, Aston Fox plus little independents at the moment. The first comes tomorrow.

Our friends a few doors down were up for £375,000 to £400,000 and got £392,000. Three offers. We’re not asking for all that because they had one more bedroom!

It’s not uncommon to get more than the asking price. London is overpopulated. I don’t comprehend the obsession with living here. It’s expensive.

The first agent is around today. Any questions I need to ask? I want a valuation, tips to get it looking perfect and also their costs.

The first agent is around today. Any questions I need to ask? I want a valuation, tips to get it looking perfect and also their costs.

Hi, we had ours valued yesterday. He was here 2 hours and was a brilliant guy, really friendly and did photos, video tour and floor plans. Answered all our questions and didn’t care we had no carpets etc (being fitted next week).

No idea about costs round your way but the one we have gone with have a few different packages etc. So it’s cheaper if you do your own viewings etc. The rate we are paying is around £1800 but no commission, and only payable if we sell.

First time I have ever tried to sell a house so had no idea of the process. We had a Rough value in mind and he said we would easily get £20k more than that at the moment. Houses round here are going within days of being put up, so London will probably be even easier

Newham. We’re looking at Foxtons, Bairstow Eves, Aston Fox plus little independents at the moment. The first comes tomorrow.

Our friends a few doors down were up for £375,000 to £400,000 and got £392,000. Three offers. We’re not asking for all that because they had one more bedroom!

It’s not uncommon to get more than the asking price. London is overpopulated. I don’t comprehend the obsession with living here. It’s expensive.

I don't know Newham at all but seems a lower price than I would have expected for London.

Got to get at least 3 for valuations and make sure you know what percentage of the sale price they get plus fees. And never lose sight of the fact that they are generally unscrupulous twats, but a necessary evil
When I last sold a house about 18 years ago, the local estate agent with the best rep gave me a valuation. I sold it twice (one guy offered then withdrew) in a fortnight for £50,000 more than the vauation. So watch them!

Newham was literally the dumping ground of East London and is the last area to become gentrified. If you ever did West Ham Away then you should see the state of The Denmark Arms now. It’s a Gastropub! Prices are still lower but going north.

It’s a bit Rusholme, Moss Side, Longsight etc. The last two houses to go near us have been bought by white couples who’ve come over from Hackney for better value. There’s been heavy migration from South Asia, West Africa, the Caribbean and Eastern Europe before so it is a surprise to see this change.

I hate the south east. Everywhere else I’ve lived has been far friendlier.

Don’t buyers there have to put a deposit down on any accepted offer? That earnest money is basically the cost of taking it off the market for the 30-90 days it takes to complete the purchase. If anything falls through on their end, and they don’t finalize the sale with a cheque in your hand by a contracted time certain, then the deposit is forfeited, contract cancelled and you look for another buyer.

Also, only allow “documented mortgage approval” (or bank letter to prove sufficient funds for cash purchase) potential buyers to view the property, so you are not pestered by non-serious buyers.

I recently viewed a house because we lived the style of the house, but weren’t in the market for one. At the open house, the Realtor had a “gatekeeper” that required a sign in with email for follow up and a request to see our mortgage or bank letter. Signed in with false last name and email, and said we didn’t have any paperwork, but the cost was not an issue. Thankfully, we were quite well dressed and the Realtor took one look and waved us in. In that case, WE were the pesky non-serious nosey buggers!

We’ll be selling up in a few years and I plan 3 realtors for market analysis, then pick one based on the marketing package they put together. Pre-approved financing required for viewing, 3% non-refundable deposit with sale price contract and a 60-day maximum to closing. House is about £400,000, so realtors get about 6% (£24,000) of that between them (buyer & seller agents). For that kind of money on a house that might sell itself, it’d better be seamless and frictionless!

My neighbor is a real estate attorney, and he says I won’t need a realtor and he will do all the paperwork for under £5,000, so I might even go the FSBO route.

it seems like, as always, things are a bit more complicated in Britain. I don’t really know as I never bought there and have only bought two houses over here.

Best of luck and I hope you get asking price or more early doors!

It’s the job of the estate agents to find us a good buyer. They don’t get paid until we do. The one firm we’re using must be fifty years going in this area so they’re not fools if they’ve remained in business for this long.

We want a realistic price so it will sell but are prepared to wait if necessary. It’s just fortunate that we’re in a very good position ourselves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.