COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what is going on with this thing?

Lets be honest huge amounts of people started bending the lock down rules at the beginning of May, a fair few took little notice of it at all in some communities. Despite this we see it dropping quite sharply now it would appear.

Surely there can only be two reasons for this either, its dying out, or its running out of people to infect.

There is the worry of those who gave the rest of us a big fuck of with the "no lives matter, no fuck given", marches over the weekend may trigger something bad but if it still drops then........

There's also loads of other things tbh mate. Life is still vastly different, even if it doesn't feel it. We're nowhere near living normally and basically everyone's lives have changed, be it by choice or force. When's the last time any large groups of people spent a significant amount of time indoors up close to each other? Pubs, clubs, gigs, football, most people's work places etc. All changed or gone. I reckon 95% of this population hasn't hugged or shook the hands of anyone that they don't live with for months. That will have a huge effect. I think the change in life styles has had the biggest effect to the slowdown. People breaking the rules is probs the reason why the fall is slower than most countries, beeps it bubbling away etc, but it won't have anywhere near the impact of the overwhelming changes we've made societally.

There's also loads of other things tbh mate. Life is still vastly different, even if it doesn't feel it. We're nowhere near living normally and basically everyone's lives have changed, be it by choice or force. When's the last time any large groups of people spent a significant amount of time indoors up close to each other? Pubs, clubs, gigs, football, most people's work places etc. All changed or gone. I reckon 95% of this population hasn't hugged or shook the hands of anyone that they don't live with for months. That will have a huge effect. I think the change in life styles has had the biggest effect to the slowdown. People breaking the rules is probs the reason why the fall is slower than most countries, beeps it bubbling away etc, but it won't have anywhere near the impact of the overwhelming changes we've made societally.

Yeah all really good points, lots of people have said 'Lockdown is finished, nobody cares anymore!', when in actual fact the broader changes have had a huge impact.

I wonder what is going on with this thing?

Lets be honest huge amounts of people started bending the lock down rules at the beginning of May, a fair few took little notice of it at all in some communities. Despite this we see it dropping quite sharply now it would appear.

Surely there can only be two reasons for this either, its dying out, or its running out of people to infect.

There is the worry of those who gave the rest of us a big fuck of with the "no lives matter, no fuck given", marches over the weekend may trigger something bad but if it still drops then........

In the last week Spain has had 40 deaths. The large number of people dying in the UK by comparison is due to what you described above.

In my opinion it's not dying out and there are still people to infect. According to scientists only 5% have had it.

The numbers drop when people keep away from each other. The stricter they are the quicker it drops.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52993734

Coronavirus was brought into the UK on at least 1,300 separate occasions, a major analysis of the genetics of the virus shows.

The study, by the Covid-19 Genomics UK consortium (Cog-UK), completely quashes the idea that a single "patient zero" started the whole UK outbreak.

The analysis also finds China, where the pandemic started, had a negligible impact on cases in the UK.

Instead those initial cases came mostly from European countries.
It kind of proves that the NZ approach of locking the borders and testing and quarantining residents was the right thing to do. Not hindsight as plenty in the UK were saying this in late Feb, early March. Fascinating science in that article. Thanks for posting this.

It kind of proves that the NZ approach of locking the borders and testing and quarantining residents was the right thing to do. Not hindsight as plenty in the UK were saying this in late Feb, early March. Fascinating science in that article. Thanks for posting this.
Whilst not disagreeing with your sentiments the population of NZ compared to UK made it easier for them to test and quarantine. Locking the borders here should have been done quicker although by the time we even thought about it it was probably too late anyway

Boris said "Single adult households or single parents with children under 18 can form a support bubble with one other household. All those in a support bubble will be able to act as if they live in the same household. They can be in each other’s homes and do not need to be two metres apart.”

Great so my son who lives with his mum can now come round my house for the next 3 weeks until he turns 18 than he has to stop .....this is getting bloody silly now :(
What changes in him when he turns 18 ? Havent seen him much since march. But for 3 weeks he can come round mind and stay over etc than after 3 weeks it's back to being 2 metre apart in the park .....mad

Plus my missus is desperate to go and see her mum but cant , it's a bloody mess now

Last edited:
Yeah all really good points, lots of people have said 'Lockdown is finished, nobody cares anymore!', when in actual fact the broader changes have had a huge impact.

For what its worth, I want him to be true. I want the virus to be burning out etc, I really do! But sadly I think the most likely cause is that the absolutely huge changes in our actions have caused this.

Without doubt locking down earlier would have helped. But this virus was here last year. New evidence is coming out of the secret Chinese state that they had it August last year. The other thing is we arent NZ. They did the right thing but their international travel connections are tiny compared to ours.

Boris said "Single adult households or single parents with children under 18 can form a support bubble with one other household. All those in a support bubble will be able to act as if they live in the same household. They can be in each other’s homes and do not need to be two metres apart.”

Great so my son who lives with his mum can now come round my house for the next 3 weeks until he turns 18 than he has to stop .....this is getting bloody silly now :(
What changes in him when he turns 18 ? Havent seen him much since march. But for 3 weeks he can come round mind and stay over etc than after 3 weeks it's back to being 2 metre apart in the park .....mad

Plus my missus is desperate to go and see her mum but cant , it's a bloody mess now
See, no disrespect, but these are the kind of nitpicking posts that don’t do anyone any favours. What do you want the government to do when they announce something like this? He’d still be stood there now if he went through every variation of everything. Of course it won’t be an issue for your son to carry on coming to see you, no one is going to lock you up or fine you for that. Common fucking sense....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.