Post QPR Celebrations

Ended up in the Windmill in Dane Bank but didn't get shitfaced as I was emotionally drained. Was more pissed after the Blackburn promotion game (same pub weirdly!).

Drunk in the pub, quite a few City and United in there. Most couldn't believe what they had just watched. To a man , no one said they would ever see better. Walked home, a few laughs and tears of joy on the way. Got in the house and my wife asks me, who won?
Had some food then watched every news report, sports channel i could find that were show re runs. I will never forget that afternoon or how i felt. Brings it back just writing this

I had booked and organised an end of season do at a working men's club in Middleton called the Woodside a few months earlier in anticipation of a title win.

At 2 one down and at 2 each I remember thinking, I wonder what song the DJ would or could play first.

The club officially held 180 people. I know more than double turned up that night. Great day and night.

My kids were 15 and 13 and there with me at the game and the do as they have been since birth. Memories forever

As a few have said, i was done in!
We walked into town but most pubs were full so we got on the train back to cheadle hulme.
The train was really quiet. Everyone looked battle weary!

P5 pub for a few then mrs picked me up and went home to poyton. Farmers arms was bouncing so had a few in there , singing our heads off (landlords a red but gave a pass)

Then i reckon i was hime in bed for 11 wondering, what the fuck just happened!!
Was in The Farmers myself that night, you're right was bouncing, this after a visit to the Workies to wind up a few Reds.

Right,
Never was worried during the game, (because at 2 - 1, we were dead and buried, ) so 2 - 2 , polite applause, cause, (no way was there time for another), and at least we got to keep our unbeaten at home all season record. Segiooooooooooooooo, no words.

Up from Northampton with 3 mates, they were going back home on the train, i'd arranged to meet my mate Glenn, (with an invite inside the ground from his dad Bill, but i needed to be more appropriately dressed if i was going in the posh areas. So back to Glenn's car, where i'd left a change of clothes, and with the addition of a proper shirt and tie, into the inner sanctum with Glenn and his dad Bill (Leivers).

Just as we got in, they shut the bar, chatted for 10 mins with Glynn Pardoe and a couple of others, then Bill asked if i'd like to meet his mate. Star struck moment, but i got him to autograph my programme, (obviously ) still got it, and despite being almost lost for words, spent a couple of minutes with the legendary Bert Trautmann, only a couple of minutes, but he was very friendly, and happy to chat, an unforgettable moment.

So, no beer (since before the game) City had stopped serving, so back to Glenn and Bill's hotel, we had a quick bar meal, and Glenn checked with his dad, that he was fine, he was going to watch Match of the Day, so we could go out for a few beers.

So Glenn and I set of into town. I honestly can't remember the names of the pubs, the first one stopped us at the door, "no football shirts", despite the fact, that about 90% of the people in there were wearing City shirts, arguing seemed pointless, most places seemed shut?????????. Eventually found another large pub, seemed quite busy no problem with the shirts. Unfortunately, on looking at Glenn's trainers "sorry you can't come in here with them on"
This massive p*** up, wasn't going too well.

Anyway, we kept walking, its probably about 9.30, and we still hadn't found anywhere that would / could serve us beer, but we weren't beaten, and after another 5 / 10 minutes wandering aimlessly found a small bar, by the Uni, near Oxford Road Station, nobody on the door, we were in, seemed fairly quiet........... "sorry no draught beer". Things were getting desperate, 2 bottles of lager. I think by now, we were beginning to get the impression, that vast amounts of alcohol were not going to be consumed, and decided around 10 o,clock to call it a day ( 1 bottle of beer) Think like others, we were totally drained, and we got the impression that celebrating just wasn't meant to happen.

So, no celebrations, BUT WHAT A DAY - STUPENDOUS - UNFORGETTABLE

Went into the Grey Horse & Circus followed by Waldorf and finally my local afterwards back in Chaddy, plenty of beer was supped.

The morning after went to Sainsbury’s and bought every tabloid newspaper went home put them in a case and now stored in the loft.

Drove back to Newcastle in my convertible. Stopped at Wetherby Services. A shit load of United supporters on coaches heading home after Sunderland game. Drove around car park singing Bluemoon. Then walked through services clapping every United fan in sighrmt... even got a few hand shakes (remember them?) From neutrals...
The looks on their faces and lack of response to teasing topped off an already fantastic day.
Ps. My wife was not impressed with my behaviour.
PPS. It was my fiftieth birthday as well..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.