Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

What's the general view about crowd noise or not with games?

BT have had some Bundesliga games with a background noise and others without. Personally I'm happier with a muted 'crowd' noise rather than just hearing the bench shouting. It's nowhere near what I've experienced for almost 60 years of match going but equally I've never experienced a lockdown before either.
I know this isn't a direct answer, and I'm sorry about that, but for me personally I'm a rather not bothered about the entertainment aspect at the moment, although obviously it's still something I hope for in a game. I'll watch City because it's City and even if it's not the BEST entertainment I won't mind. It's still City. When this all blows over I'll think about watching football with the same expectations as before.

On the whole I suppose if you can get used to a fake crowd sound then that's probably better. Far less jarring.

I was referring to the ONS sample survey - not the daily testing regime. There's a link here for details of what they do https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...tionsurveypilot/12june2020#measuring-the-data

I think there's a margin of error involved as with any measurement but all the sample tests they have done are consistently showing the same trend and it fits in with the dropping hospitalisations, usual testing, deaths etc. It also fits in with what we see in Europe. There doesn't seem to me to be any good reason to question these results, and they inform Restart.
No because they are basing it on the total test figures,if they only counted test completed in the lab then the % would look very different

We can also see the dangers of extrapolating results based on a tiny sample

I know this isn't a direct answer, and I'm sorry about that, but for me personally I'm a rather not bothered about the entertainment aspect at the moment, although obviously it's still something I hope for in a game. I'll watch City because it's City and even if it's not the BEST entertainment I won't mind. It's still City. When this all blows over I'll think about watching football with the same expectations as before.

On the whole I suppose if you can get used to a fake crowd sound then that's probably better. Far less jarring.

See my previous post about next Wednesday :) I'm really looking forward to it.

BT have had some Bundesliga games with a background noise and others without. Personally I'm happier with a muted 'crowd' noise rather than just hearing the bench shouting. It's nowhere near what I've experienced for almost 60 years of match going but equally I've never experienced a lockdown before either.
Is it any better than canned laughter? I suppose if it makes the pundits less jarring !

Is it any better than canned laughter? I suppose if it makes the pundits less jarring !
If the stadium's close to empty they might be able to hear Carragher or Neville on commentary from the pitch. As if they haven't suffered enough.

No because they are basing it on the total test figures,if they only counted test completed in the lab then the % would look very different

We can also see the dangers of extrapolating results based on a tiny sample
The results are based on swabs from approximately 20,000 households that have been pre-selected to reflect the population (by sex, age geography etc). The result is not an outlier. It's completely consistent with everything else we know.

The data has a confidence interval around it. It's there as a guide.

Last edited:

I would much much prefer it without the canned noise. a) it’s fake, and b) I’m interested to hear the players and coaches - and even if the mics don’t pick it up, to see how it alters players behaviour. I think if they introduce it, it’s just cold feet from the authorities/Sky.
Who knows, one outcome of this is that it might lead to longer term modifications in how players talk to the ref on the field. Unlikely but could happen.
Best option, if technology allows, would be to offer viewers a choice of both.

Just watching the restart doc the club has made. The professionalism of the club and detail is superb. Imagine a crisis like this happening to us say 20 years ago. Would just be The security guard stood at the door with a bottle of dettol.

If so, then there are 600 for every million of the population, standing in the UK at nearly 68 million. Just over 40,000, that's a lot like the death rate, not the infected. Are you sure of you have your info correct?
Yes. The sample suggests 33,000 currently infected in England or approx 1 in 2000. It's just coincidence that the numbers are broadly similar to cumulative deaths. At that level of infection, no one can argue that football should not be played although there are arguments to be had over whether you will enjoy it, and whether its fair when the circumstances are very different.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.